Chapter 19B

Jenny

When I came home from the Killian's, where I was making sure their Shih Tzu, Corky, had a good walk and something to eat and drink, I was happy to find the cabin empty. Corky had gotten into Mrs. Killian's trashcans while she was at work. When I arrived to let Corky out he was covered in mustard and mayonnaise. I guess the Killians had cold cuts the night before. Their kids must have thrown most of their sandwiches out. The torn up rolls which had been in their trash were all over their kitchen floor, along with the condiment mess, when I arrived. I did my best to mop up and then clean Corky in their wash basin in the basement. In doing so I had muddled my own clothes. I'm looking forward to taking a hot shower.

I go into the kitchen to grab an ice-tea first, though. When I hear a car tossing stones while driving down our road, I look out the window. I see a white Wrangler Jeep drive past my cabin going towards the Graham's. Curious, I finish my drink and step outside onto the porch. As I do Deaglán and Kim pull up in their truck.

Forgetting all about the jeep, I run down the porch steps to greet them. To my surprise, when they get out of the car, Cian and Walker are with them.

"Kim! When get here? I not expect...later afternoon." I hug her carefully, rubbing her belly and my soon-to-be cousin.

Before she can answer me, I look up and catch Walker staring at me. Oh, damn. First time I see him in two years and I'm covered in a condiment nightmare. Despite my state of disarray, there's an emotional charge in the air that steals my breath away. Just as I'm about to give Walker a hug I notice my cousin Deaglán's left eye. It's swollen and angry. His lip isn't much better. I can see a bruise already forming on his torn skin.

What in the world?

I reach out to lightly touch Deaglán's eyebrow and he winces and pulls away.

When I glance over at Walker, I can see similar bumps and bruises on his face.

"Deaglán, what going on? Why lip?" I ask them both, looking back and forth between them. "Walker?"

Deaglán touches his lip tentatively before saying, "Yeah, I think I'll let him explain that one to you," pointing to Walker as he does.

"Walker? Wha...?" I ask puzzled.

I can't imagine any reason he could have for hitting my cousin. Deaglán's remark doesn't make sense to me. My inner Mother Hen is irked, though. I'm just about ready to give Walker a piece of my mind when I hear an unfamiliar voice call out to us.

"Walker?" she calls, walking down to where we're standing.

At her voice, the five of us turn to take in the blond goddess walking towards us. She's wearing a barely-there tank top and Daisy Duke cut-off camo shorts. Her boots compliment her outfit well, unlike the mustard staining mine. A tramp stamp graces the back of her spine. It's slightly cut off by the margin of her shorts.

I look up the drive and see two suitcases sitting by her Jeep; one large and one small. A lump begins to form in my throat.

Walker knows this woman?

"Hey! It's so good to see you. I found the place. Wow. You were right, Walker," she says without taking a breath, as she kisses him hello on his cheek and drapes her arm across his shoulder. She turns to us with a smile and continues, "It really is off the beaten trail. I wasn't sure if I was going to find your cabin or not."

As one, we all turn back to Walker with raised eyebrows. Walker has a girlfriend? Or is she his wife? Was I going to have to see them together every day now? The prospect of that makes me feel sick. She has to be someone important. A woman doesn't pack her bags and travel all this way to sleep at a guy's house if something's not going on. The look of hurt on my face must be obvious because I see Walker wince before looking back towards the girl.

"Jenny, guys, this is Candace. We were on the last tour together," Walker says, introducing her, gently moving himself out from under her embrace. A small frown furrows her brow.

"Hi, nice to meet you all," Candace replies, offering her hand to us to shake.

My handshake is as limp as my heart. Kim looks at me with pity, and Cian and Deaglán look angrier than I've ever seen either of them in a long time.

What in the world?

"I don't know if Walker mentioned it yet, but I'm staying up at the cabin this weekend. I'm looking forward to hanging out, maybe getting to know everyone." Her cheerfulness makes me wanna punch her. What did I expect, though? She's beautiful, strong, competent; everything I'm not. Most obvious of all, Candace can speak. Like a normal person. No wonder Walker's with her. Why did I ever think he might wait for me? I'm a fool. All those years of hoping...

I excuse myself before I melt into a blubbering pool of tears in front of everyone.

"Nice meet you. I go. See you later," I say to her. Turning, I tell Walker that we'll catch up later.

I can't take it anymore so I run back inside the cabin. I slam the door before everyone can see me fall apart. I hear Kim tell the guys and Candace that she's going to make sure I'm ok. I take refuge in the bathroom and lock the door. I plan to stay in here until I can get my emotions under control. Kim is knocking now. She only wants to comfort me, and I feel bad telling her to leave me alone. I don't want to see anyone right now, though.

It's only when I hear the shouting start that I open the door.

_______________

Photograph Copyright 2018 A. F.

It feels great when I know you're enjoying this book. The best way to do that is to click on the small star below before moving on to read the next chapter.

Thank you for your support!