Chapter 22B

Walker

I feel my cell phone vibrate in my pocket before it starts to ring. I bend over to put my fishing pole down on the stand before answering the call. When I pull it out of my pocket I look at the return number and sigh, closing my eyes.

"Hey, Candace," I answer, opening my eyes. "What's up?" We just parted ways two hours ago. I hope she isn't coming back. Not that I don't like her friendship, but right now I'm a little raw.

"Walker, look, real quick. You're all good," Candace replies.

"All good? What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

"With Jenny. It's all good. I fixed it," she says.

I feel my stomach drop. Uh-oh. Oh, no. No. No. No.

There was a reason Candace did so well out in the field when we were under fire. The girl is determined and ruthless. When she sets her mind to something, she takes down the enemy in one mean swoop. No drama, just quiet blood, and the enemy is dead where he stood.

"What do you mean, 'you fixed it', Candace?" I asked again with baited breath. "What did you do?"

"Nothing, Romeo. Don't worry about it. You and your little Juliet are going to be fine. All you have to do is talk to her. Just don't be a chicken shit and it'll all work out fine," she replies smugly over the line.

"Candace McGovern, so help me, what did you say to her?" I growl.

I hear Candace laughing back at me.

"Candace? What did you do?" I repeat.

"Look, my little Neanderthal, just go home and talk to your woman. Kiss and make up. Your sweet little damsel is ready and waiting now. Just do me a favor and don't send me an invitation to your future wedding. My heart can't take the abuse. If you're lucky, we'll meet up sometime. Like when you're stateside again and all covered in daddy spawn."

"Daddy spawn?!? What're you talking about, Candace?" I ask incredulously. "Candace? Candace! Dammit. Candace!" I yell fruitlessly to an empty dial tone.

I turn to look at my brother who is sitting on a nearby rock.

"She hung up on me," I gasp. "Candace. Just like that, she hung up on me."

"I can see that, Walker," Cian replies, shaking his head and laughing at my expense. "So, what's all this I hear about daddy spawn? Anything I should know?"

_____________

Please click on the star below if you are enjoying this story so far.

Thank you for your support!