best friend - 1940's steve rogers

[ this imagine is for another winner of one of my challenges, MJ. ]

Steve,

I can't believe my best friend, you, is gone. I hope you and Buck are having a great time up there, I really do. Just wait for me, yeah? Being away from you hurts a lot. We've been inseparable since 3rd grade and I miss that. Ever since Bucky got drafted and you enlisted, it's the longest we've been apart. I love you. Don't forget that.

Your best friend,

[Y/N] [Y/L/N], 1945

[ 13 YEARS EARLIER ]

"STEVEN!" you screeched, your voice cracking at least 100 times (because, you know, puberty).

Steve's finger tapped your "way-too-hot-to-exist" crush's shoulder, who turned around, looking annoyed, at the contact. Before your friend could say a word, your body collided with his, and you both were on the ground.

"Ow," Steve groaned, holding his elbow as he stood. "I wasn't going to-"

"Sorry about him," you flashed a mega-watt smile at your impressed crush, cutting Steve off. "He's...weird."

Steve rolled his eyes and crossed his noodley arms. You both her girls whispering to each other, and fixing their hair which meant James Buchanan Barnes was nearby. Exchanging glances with Steve, both of your eyes searched for your friend.

"Hey, punks," a familiar voice growled, sending Steve 10 feet in the air, as you laughed and turned around to face Bucky.

"Every damn time," Steve muttered sheepishly. "Ugh."

Bucky, Steve, and you were the trio. Since you were as "girly" as the other girls, you were considered one of the guys. Still, you had those "girly" tendencies, like having a crush.

"I love you guys so much," you wheezed hilariously, clutching your sides and crouching.

[ PRESENT - 1945 ]

A tear escaped your eyelids, and you wiped it away harshly with the back of your hand. You folded the paper delicately, and slid it in the envelope. Rain began to fall, and you crouched down, brushing your fingertips across a picture of your best friend which was on the sidewalk, surrounded by flowers and American flags. You leaned the enveloped against the frame that said:

To my best friend