September 4th, 2066

Two teams are being assembled from soldiers here in the city. This includes me.

One team is going to scout the area around the city, about a mile out, in search of Perfectionists. The other team--the one I've been assigned to--is heading into the United States. Despite our recon team being discovered during their mission, Crutch still wants to destroy the Renewer manufacturing facility in the United States--they still think it's worth the risk.

The team I'm on is a small team they're calling Sting. It consists of a couple soldiers I don't know, then there's Trent and Sergio. Apart from the two of them, I only know one other person on the team: our grouchy, one-eyed roommate, Mateo. Turns out Mateo is a general in the Crutch army and he's leading our team.

Sergeant Glassgow isn't on either of the teams--he's remaining in Cuauhtèmoc as a shift lead for the city guards. There's something in my head that tells me I won't see him--or the city--after I leave with the rest of Sting. Maybe that's just the way this new world has conditioned me to think.

I tried to fight against being sent away, but couldn't show too much resistance. I still need to be a good soldier and I still need to garner as much experience as I can if I'm going to try to rescue Sara on my own.

That's the official plan, now, by the way. According to Sara's sister, she didn't make it to Sanctum. Crutch will never return to Australia, and there is no one alive who would be willing to help me find her. So, once I'm confident enough that I can make it on my own, I'm forging my own path to Sara. I'll get to her.

Every day that passes just puts one less day between my solitude and my reunion with Sara. That's my positive way of looking at it. That's how I have to look at it in order to keep myself from going crazy.

Sting--this small, suicidal team of soldiers--is leaving at sunset, tomorrow.