CHAPTER 3: Distracted

HUNTER

I was worried throughout the entire day and in between my clients, I tried to calm myself down and keep from thinking the worst. 

Then I see Sam come walking into the shop with a huge smile on her face along with a few pastries for all of us. 

"Hey boss, sorry I'm a little late. I was just talking with your girl." She smiles and winks at me. 

"It's cool." I chuckled as I think it's always funny when she calls me that. "Did you get my text?" 

"Yeah, what's up?" She asks. 

"Let's talk in the office." I tell her and then we start to head to the back office and lock the door before I begin. 

"So what's going on? You planning a big surprise for Carrie or something?" She asks. "Oh, which reminds me, she got a huge offer to cater someone's event next month." She says excited. 

"That's great." I smiled. 

"Sorry, had to tell you. So what's going on?" She asks. 

"When was the last time you spoke to your cousin?" I asked her. 

She looked at me with all the color on her face disappearing making her look white in the face like she has just seen a ghost. 

"W-Why are you asking me about him?" She asks. 

"Just answer me." I tell her. 

"I haven't talked to him since that day when that fight broke out with you both." She says. "Why?"

"He's found us." I tell her. 

"What? How?" She asks surprised and with a little worry on her face. 

"I'm not sure. That's why I was hoping you knew." I tell her as I sit down behind my desk and start thinking about what to do. 

"Is he here?" She asks. 

"Yeah." I nod. 

"What the hell does he want?" She asks. 

"Us to meet him at his dad's mansion that's not too far away from here." I tell her. 

"I thought this was over." She says. 

"Me too. Looks like karma had other plans." 

"What are we going to do?" 

"He told me he'd call me to let me know what he wants and that if we don't follow through, he'll kill my family." I swallow the big lump in my throat as I say that last part. 

"Oh my god." She says. 

"We can't tell Carrie. Not until we figure all of this out." I beg her. 

"Of course not. Holy shit. I didn't think he...." She started to say but I stopped her. 

"I know. Me too." I nodded my head in agreement knowing exactly what she was going to say. 

"Well, tell me when you find out and we'll find a way to end this." She says. 

"Thanks. I mean, I know we didn't care much for each other back then but I really appreciate this." I tell her. 

"Of course. I mean, I'd like to think that we've become good friends recently and besides, I love and care for you, Carrie and Bessie and will do whatever it takes to help protect them too." She promises me. 

"I feel the same. I just never thought I would ever see your cousin again." I tell her. 

"Me neither. I've never really been a huge fan of his." She says. 

"So I guess, when we meet him we'll figure something out." I begin to tell her. 

"Yeah." She nods in agreement. 

"Okay. Well, we better get back to work. I have a client coming in any minute and you need to get your station set up for your client who is coming in soon." I tell her. 

"Alright." She replies as she turns and we both start heading out of the room.

Today was luckily not too bad. Busy but not bad at all really. When I got home, I had set down the pizza and wings I bought us for dinner and set it down on the table as I hear Bessie and Carrie both upstairs. So I start making my way up to Bessie's room and look through the little crack in her bedroom door and see them both having a tickle fight on the bed before I open up the door a little more. 

"My two favorite girls." I smile at them both. 

They both stop for a moment and look at me. 

"Daddy!" Bessie says excited as she runs up to me and has me pick her up. 

"Hey Pumpkin." I greet her with a kiss on the forehead. "I got some pizza and wings downstairs, you hungry?" 

"Starving daddy." She says and then I look over at Carrie who is getting up, still smiling and we all head downstairs to eat. 

While sitting at the table, we all begin to talk about our day and Carrie told me more about the job that Sam told me a little about earlier. 

"I am so proud of you baby." I tell her. 

"Thank you." she smiles at me. 

"So what's the guys name?" I ask while taking a couple more bites of my pizza. 

"That's the funny part, I didn't get a chance to get it. But, it's okay since he's coming back in in a few days." She replies as she finishes taking the last few bites of her hot wing. 

I just nod in agreement since my mind is more distracted by Sam's cousin and the unknown in what he wants while knowing what he is capable of. 

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)