Chapter Eight - Voice from the Past

Singto awakes in the dark small alcove inside a room, he saw a little boy crouches down in the corner of the room. He seems scared while wrapping his knees, there is a trace of a tear on his face.

He's trying to speak but no voice comes out, then he slowly approaches the boy, but when he almost comes closer, suddenly heard the screaming voice from outside. Singto could see the red light showing on the door's crack, then not long after that the smoke is coming in from it.

He shortly guessed that there is a fire outside. He's trying to open the door, but it won't open, it was locked from the outside, Singto then began to bang on it to ask for help, yet no one comes to open the door.

The little child began to cough because of the smoke, also was him, he hardly breathing.

"Somebody help! Open the door!" he's shouting while keeps banging on the door.

After some time he fell to the floor and died, he was almost out of breath and lost consciousness, then vaguely saw a shadow before closing his eyes.

However, he could hear a conversation in his dream.

"I'll be back. I promise, please wait for me..."

"Don't worry! I know you will..."

"You won't miss me, do you?"

"Take this with you, and return to me when you  come back..."

"But, this is...."

"I'll be fine, just to make sure nothing bad happens to you..."

"Thank you..."

.

.

.

"My lord .....wait...."

Singto slowly opens his eyes and found himself in a hospital ward. Krist falls asleep beside him with his palm open up like holding the phone before, Singto slowly put his hand on it in awkward then pretends to sleep again when hears the footstep come closer, it's Kevin.

Kevin saw a phone on the floor, he put the flower inside the vase beside the table then crouched down to pick up Krist's phone, yet accidentally saw Singto and Krist's hands joined together. Kevin slowly put the phone on the table and then touch Singto's forehead using his finger to check his temperature.

Kevin throw himself on the couch while staring at Singto and then at Krist in turn. He then did his hair and took out the cigarettes about to light them on, but then stop as he remember that he was currently inside the ward.

Kevin moves his eyes into the smoke detector above him while holding the cigarettes and lighter. His memory flies back to more than twenty years ago when he first time came to the house. He stood in front of his grandpa's door and pushed a little to give him a gap to peek inside.

His grandpa's holding an old painting, he looks at it and sighs.

"Where should I look for him? Probably he has died..."

The old man then rolled back the painting and kept it under a drawer and then took out a cigarette.

"Phi, please rest in peace...I won't stop to look for him and bring him back if he is still alive, I promise..."

Suddenly the door closed and the little Kevin fell to the floor in surprise.

Krist opens his eyes and feels Singto's hand, his eyes fixed on it, and freezes for a second, he glances at Kevin in flash and quickly pulls his hand from the guy in awkward.