8. - Without You

Warwrick Castle, February 1485

Coming back to Wawrick after nearly a month in York doesn't feel like home for some reason. Harry grew up here, his mother is here but so is Lord Wawrick, so are other Lords and people who only see Harry as a political figure they could use for their own gain. In York he was mostly free, even if a few people that reside in court were with him.

Now it's back to plots and training and politics and talks of marriage and a million other things Harry has grown tired of in the past seven years. Ever since King James died, everyone around started to see Harry only as the ruler they want to see on the throne of the man that they had just killed in a battle. He was still only a child but he had to start thinking and behaving like an adult overnight.

Harry's home for just four days when Lord Wawrick starts scheming again. He saunters into Harry's chambers without even knocking.

"Have you not heard of knocking, Lord Wawrick?" Harry asks, closing the book he was just reading.

"My apologies, Your Highness, but we need to discuss your recent trip to York," Lord Wawrick answers and sits down on a chair opposite the sofa Harry's sitting on.

Harry sits up more straight, his fingers nervously playing together. "And what about it? Is something wrong?"

He would be damned if Lord Wawrick knew about everything Harry got up to in York.

"I believe not," Lord Wawrick answers. "But I am interested to hear what you learned in your own words."

Harry takes a deep breath. "I learned nothing. Not a word about what they are planning."

Lord Wawrick eyes his warily. His canny face with light blue eyes and a brown beard has been questioning Harry for years. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am positive," Harry replies with a blank face.

Lord Wawrick sighs, rubbing the bridge of his nose."Have you at least seen the Malik Prince somewhere? Our spies could not have gotten so much information about his whereabouts wrong."

"I have not," Harry lies. "And due to his not being there, I spent most of my time drinking and whoring around," he finishes with a smile.

Harry said the last sentence just to anger Lord Wawrick. The man has kept Harry almost locked in this castle for years, unless he was leaving for battles or studies in abbeys. This is what he gets for acting like he has the claim on the throne and not Harry. His arrogant behavior and his manipulation of Harry's mother will come to an end soon.

But Harry still needs him. He needs the castle, he needs Wawrick's army. At least until he can figure out what the fuck to do next.

"Are you out of your mind?" Lord Wawrick hollers. "Do you want to tarnish your reputation? Why are you playing with fire? I am trying my hardest to secure the English throne for you and you go out of your way to risk everything? What would you do if you ended up with a bastard? What if you were spotted by our enemies and killed?"

"There is no need for this yelling," Harry says calmly and stands up, walking to a window closeby and looking out. "I was fucking tavern whores. Every young man my age drinks, believe it or not even the Malik Prince does and yet his family still wants him on the throne."

"You are more vulnerable than him," Lord Wawrick remarks. "His father was the crowned King for fifteen years. His uncle is sitting on the throne right now. Your father was hated by the entire nation. You cannot afford to be seen as an irresponsible buffoon who spends his time drinking and fucking cheap whores! Just imagine the rumours this could have sprouted!"