19. - Ruby

June 1485, Windsor Castle

After a little over three weeks, Harry is still alive and well. In spite of Melisende's rage and clear dislike of him, she has not tried to poison him or send and assassin. She has shown her discontent with Harry and Zayn's marriage during each meeting she has attented and basically every single time Harry has crossed her path. But seeing how she is still not trying to murder her son-in-law, Harry chooses to believe that she will get over it, like Zayn said she will. He knows her after all.

This time has certainly been the busiest of Harry's life. He and Zayn attend various meetings every single day, on top of some lessons with the best scholars in England who teach them about the current political situation. There are briefings about how other monarch are reacting to their marriage and the end of war, plans being made to visit some of them and to also tour England and meet the people and lords.

From the very first moment they took up the duties of the rulers of England, they have been preaching equality. Despite Melisende's insults, Harry is not just a husband for Zayn, he is a King too. Because they are the first royal couple consisting of two men, they will have new crown and crown jewels to mark a new era for rulers and for England. They are determined to modernise the country, bring new philosophy and culture into the kingdom.

During a Privy Council meeting about a week ago, Harry nearly risked his life by saying in front of Melisende that they will not have heirs until they are both at least twenty years of age. Firstly, they will focus on travelling and gaining new allies for England. Melisende just scoffed and said: "Have it your way then. When you die without an heir, England will be in chaos and it will all be your fault." It was on exaggeration of course, because they are very well aware of their duty as monarchs to keep their line going. Harry said as much to Melisende then, and also adding that one absent King would not help the process of stabilising the country in the slightest.

They also sent an envoy with an official invitation to court and a letter from Harry addressed to his Mother. He lowkey hopes that Lord Wawrick won't come too but since he preyed on Juliana and married her just weeks after Harry's Father was killed in battle, he will never leave her side. Harry is certain that he will try to secure a spot on the Privy Council but that will happen only over Harry's dead body. He has opened his eyes and seen how stupid Lord Wawrick's plans actually are. But there are some other people Harry will need on the Privy Council.

Harry's sitting at a desk in the study in his and Zayn's chambers. Finally having moved to the King's chambers, they have more quite a lot of space and from time to time, Harry likes the security of the rooms. In the middle of the day, like now, no one would expect a King to be in his study, quietly writing down a list of potential candidates for Privy Council. Zayn is attending some sort of a meeting, one that Harry didn't deem important enough for the presence of them both and decided to do something productive instead.

The main door to the sitting room opens and shuts then, and Harry thinks it's just a servant until a familiar voice calls out: "Love?"

"In the study," Harry calls out, his eyes still down on the paper. He finishes the last word, putting his quill back in the ink. Looking up just as Zayn walks into the room, Harry smiles at him and gestures for him to come over.

"How was the meeting?" Harry asks as he starts writing again. Zayn comes to stand behind his chair, wrapping his arms around Harry's shoulders and kissing his temple.

"It was alright," Zayn mumbles into Harry's hair. "Duke of Somerset was throwing nasty looks at me the whole time."

"Why?" Harry snorts. "What did you do him?"

"Nothing," Zayn sighs. "His daughter arrived at court today and before we got married, he wanted me to marry his daughter and since no one knew about our engagement, I had to lie and say that he should bring her to court so I can meet her. Now he is bitter because his daughter will not be a Queen."