xix.

previously on criminal minds....

"You and I are gonna go upstairs and free my messiah."

"You're in the heart of the FBI. As soon as the rest of my team figures out it's you, you'll be dead before you're out the door."

"Then we need to work quickly."

"I'm not cooperating with you. Might as well shoot me."

"I have a better idea."

Next thing he knew, a black car had pulled up with Penelope in the backseat with a gun pointed at her head. Spencer's eyes widened. He swallowed the lump in his throat that he didn't know was forming. However seeing this, he still kept his gun pointed at Mary.

"Now...what's it gonna be?" Mary questioned, smirking. "Because you can either join us, or she dies."

Spencer's breathing became heavy as he glanced between Mary and Penelope. If he shot Mary, Penelope would die. If he chose to go with them, he would never see his team or Melanie again.

Penelope then began to bang on the windows. "Spencer! Just shoot her! Shoot her!" She screamed.

_____________

A few minutes after Spencer left, the fire alarm went off. She was completely confused out of her mind until someone from the bureau had told her she needed to evacuate the building along with the rest of the agents that had stayed. Melanie tried to call Spencer as she made her way out of the building but there was no answer. She started to worry. It was hardly ever that Spencer did not pick up his phone. She nervously began to chew on her bottom lip. While waiting to be cleared to go back into the building, the team had arrived. 

"Mels, wheres Reid?" Emily asked urgently.

"I-I don't know. We were just about to leave when we heard a gun go off. He told me to stay here and went to go check it out. He hasn't been back since." She explained.

Emily muttered the word 'fuck' underneath her breath. Noticing this, as well as the look of worrisome on everyone's faces, Melanie became even more worried and scared.

"Em, what's going on?" She questioned.

Before Emily could speak up, Luke sighed softly. He had already knew he would have to tell Melanie the news. "Come with me."

He took a hold of his sister's arm and led her away from everyone on the opposite side of the parking lot. Both siblings' hearts were pounding against their chests. Luke really did not have the heart to tell her that Spencer could be in danger again and he hated knowing that his sister would be crushed. He took a hold of Melanie's hands. 

"Mels. I need you to not react. At least...not right now." Luke began to explain. He started to tell her how Ben Merva, the Messiah, somehow escaped and that Mary was part of his cult. Neither Spencer or Penelope were answering their phones when him and the team tried to reach them. "We're thinking they're helping out with the evacuation but seeing that you haven't heard from Spencer either...." 

Luke's voice trailed off. He could tell on the look of Melanie's face that this was something she did not want to hear. Her jaw was clenched but even through the poker face she was putting on, he could just tell. 

Melanie was hearing her brother's words and had already drawn up conclusions but she did not want to take them into account. Looking behind Luke's shoulder, she saw that they were letting people back in.