If Only In Your Arms (II)

Marquise kissed Danielle on her forehead as he watched her sleep peacefully. They had been together for seven months and he had fallen for her.
She stirred her her sleep and her curls fell slightly in her face, giving her a natural look. Hurrying to grab his camera, Marquise took a picture of her.
Hearing the snap of the camera, Danielle fluttered her eyes open only to be met with a smiling Marquise who held the camera in his hands.
"Marquise...what are you doing?" She spoke as she stretched her body and sat up.
"Oh nothing....just being me." He spoke and his smile grew wider.
Danielle side eyed him and got out of the bed, stretching. She wore his shirt and it rose a little.
Marquise snapped at picture of that and Danielle turned around quickly, glaring at him.
"Alright, Alright...I'll quit." Marquise smiled and Danielle admired him for just a moment. She had fallen deeply for him.
As she walked into the bathroom to take a shower, Marquise sat at his desk and uploaded the pictures to his computer.
As he scrolled through them, he smiled to himself as he looked at her.
Marquise knew that he was lucky to have a woman like her. From they was she carried herself to how intellectual she was- Marquise felt himself falling for her day by day.
Making sure that she was still in the shower, Marquise swiftly opened his drawer and pulled out his flask in which he kept the dark liquor in. Taking a swig, he quickly shut it and popped a piece of mint flavored gum in his mouth.
Seconds later, Danielle walked out of the bathroom dressed in her scrubs to get ready for work. This had almost become routine for the couple: her staying over. They never did anything when she did. Neither valued sex at the top of their priority list. Just laying and talking, or sometimes allowing the silence made their relationship amazing.
Danielle walked over to where Marquise sat and leaned down, kissing his lips gently. She pulled away and arched hey eyebrow. Sensing that something was wrong, Marquise asked.
"Baby what's wrong?" He spoke, concern filling his voice.
Danielle shook her head and forced a smiled on her face. "Nothing. I just had a random thought." She smiled.
Marquise stared at her as though he didn't believe her. She kissed him again and then pulled away, before she got carried away.
He stood up and led her to the door where he kissed her again.
He watched her then retreat from him and walk over to her 2016 all black Nissan Altima. She waved goodbye as she drove away.

Later that day, Danielle was helping one of her older patients lay back in their bed. Yet, even though she was working- her mind was still stuck on this morning.
She had tasted the liquor on Marquise's breath and was afraid to say anything to him about it. He had been doing so well with his progress and she was afraid that he was slipping away again.
"Baby what's wrong?" Ms. Harris spoke looking at the younger woman before her.
Danielle looked at Mrs. Harris and sighed. "Mama Harris, I just don't know what to do." She spoke, feeling her throat tighten at the though of it.
Mrs. Harris hugged Danielle and allowed her to shed some tears. She gently rubbed her back said nothing as she consoled Danielle and waited for her to calm down.
When Danielle had calm down, she sat up and grabbed some tissue from the bathroom. Returning to the bed, Mrs. Harris gave her faint smile and squeezed her hand kindly.
"You love this boy don't you?"
Danielle bit her lip and nodded her head yes, admitting out loud for the first time what she had been feeling for months.
"And I can tell you're worried about him. Baby girl, sometimes you gotta do some things that hurt to show those that you love you're serious."
Danielle allowed the fresh tears to fall from her face as she knew what she had to do. She was scared, but she knew she had to do it.
"Baby girl don't be scared. God's got it. Come ere', and give me your hands." Mrs. Harris spoke.
Danielle obeyed and allowed the older lady to pray for her. As she prayed, Danielle felt ever word she said and she knew that she would then be ok.

As her shift ended, Danielle knew that she had to tell Marquise. She drove over to his place and knocked on his door once she stood before it. Hearing him shuffle around, Danielle smiled as she knew that he was in the living room. And since it was a Thursday, he was watching Thursday night football.
He opened the door and smiled once he saw who was before him. He pulled her into a hug and squeezed her waist gently. Pecking her lips he allowed her to come in.
"Baby, you should've told me you were coming by." Marquise spoke. "I would've cooked you something. I know you're hungry."
Danielle smiled at his thought. "Aw baby thanks, but I'm fine. Um, I know I came over unannounced and I'm sorry. I just...I just wanna talk to you about something."
Sensing that she was serious, Marquise cut the television off.
"What's up." He spoke as he turned her way, giving Danielle his full attention.
Danielle looked down at her lap before she looked back at him. "Marquise, when I kissed you this morning," she began. Nervously she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I tasted the liquor on your breath."
Knowing that she was right and he couldn't lie- he could only look at her.
"Are you drinking again?" Danielle whispered. She couldn't just say plainly. It pained her because she already knew the truth.
Marquise swallowed hard before answering. "Yeah."
"Why, Marquise?"
"Because D," he started. He looked at the ground before looking back up at her. "I can't cope with this by myself. I'm trying...but it's so hard. Therapy ain't working! And baby...baby I'm just tired."
Danielle forced her tears back. "Y-you have me Marquise. I'm here." She pointed to herself.
Marquise shook his head rapidly before getting up. "Danielle....you don't know what it's like to have your everything taken from you. When my mom died....I just lost everything."
Danielle stood up. "You're right. I don't know. But I do know that God is greater than-"
"Just stop! Stop it ok! I just don't feel it. How can I loving God love me? Huh? How can he love me when he took my support system away? What type of God would do that?"
Danielle didn't have the answer to that one. How could she? She just knew that God's love was real.
She and Marquise sat staring at one another for what felt like hours. Both had tears rolling down their faces as they allowed themselves to both be vulnerable with one another.
"Y-you're right. I don't understand your pain, nor could I imagine it." Danielle began. "But one thing I do know is that God's love is real."
"How do you know that Danielle? What has He done for you?" Marquise stated as he came closer to her, challenging her.
Danielle stepped up to him and looked him in his eyes. "I know His love is real because He's allowed me to fall in love with you." She spoke as she allowed more tears to fall.
Marquise demeanor softened and he caressed her face, wiping her tears.
"You love me?" He spoke.
"Deeply." Danielle said.
"I love you too." Marquise stated. He truly did. He'd felt that way for some time. But something in him was scared.
Danielle kissed him, this time tasting nothing but chips.
"I love you, but I'm scared to give you my all." Marquise confessed.
"Together we can do this. And with God's help you're going to make it. Trust in Him." Danielle spoke.
Marquise only nodded his head and allowed fresh tears to fall. Danielle held him as he buried he head in her chest, sobbing.
Both knew, that a change had to come. And it indeed was coming.

********************************************

Hey y'all! Long time no see. But here you go. Part III is coming. Thanks for being patient with me.

Love always,

Malaysia ❤️