That Time of the Month

Hey y'all! So this is a little short- but I didn't want to drag it out. I hope you enjoy!
                                        **
        Nia Jakes bagged up the customers last items. She worked at a local grocery store and normally loved it, but today was different.
        She was beyond tired and ready to go. Not only had she been working for eight hours- but her monthly visitor had come and as usual, it felt like it had a personal vengeance against her.
      "Have a great day." She forced a smile on her face.
       Once they walked out she hurriedly cut off her light and watched as her manager shut the door.
        "I'm so ready to bounce up out of here." Her manager said and that made Nia nod her head in agreement.
         "I feel you. I swear the people that come in here have the nastiest attitudes. Like don't get mad at me for it being hot outside. You better take that up with The Weather Man Upstairs." Nia said and her manger laughed.
        "Right! God knows what's up. But girl- I'm gonna get you to count your till down. I'll clean while you do that so we can dip." Her manager said.
        Both ladies began doing their jobs and soon they were walking out together.
        "So- we got our early tonight. What you got planned? Anything with Tyler?" Her manager smiled at the younger girl.
        Nia smiled at the mention of his name. "Yeah. He wanted to take me out to get something but I'm gonna reschedule. Mother nature came and she's not playing."
        Her manager nodded in understanding. I feel you. I'm sure he'll understand though. But something tells me he will. I'll just never forget how he acted to get your attention." Her manager laughed remembering the times Tyler would come in the store just to look at Nia.
        Nia remembered them too and laughed out loud thinking of him. "I remember. He was trying hard. But I'm glad I gave him a chance."   
        "As you should. But listen, im about to go home to check on my son. Go home and get some rest, and I'll see you in a few days."
        Nia nodded her head and waved to her manager as they both got into separate vehicles. Nia drove the five minute commute to her apartment complex excited to finally be sitting down. She was grateful not to live too far away from the store and on days like this- honestly beyond happy.
        As she drove around her complex, she drove slowly and waved to the kids who were riding their bikes.
         Parking her car and getting out, she locked the door. The sound of flip flops is what made her look to her right. She smiled seeing her eight year old neighbor Chanel. Nia admired how her hair was styled naturally- braided to the side with pink beads singing as she walked.
        "Hey Miss Nia." Chanel greeted her neighbor.
        "Hey Chanel. What you got going on today?" Nia asked.
         "I'm about to go to the playground with Chance and Jace. You wanna play?"
        Nia smiled. "No babygirl. I'm tired. But next time I gotchu. Be careful."
       Chantel smiled and hugged Nia's torso before running off to the playground, her beads bouncing as she ran.
        Nia made sure that the child got to the playground and when she felt she was safe, went into her apartment.
            Exhaling she kicked off her shoes and put her purse down, Nia then walked to the bathroom to run her bath water.  Once she was done, she began to boil water for tea. Her stomach still hurt, and she knew that she wanted to take a hot bath and rest her body.
        After boiling her water, she cut the oven off and decided to take a hot bath. As she was running her water, her phone rang and she smiled when she saw it was Tyler.
        "Hello?" Nia answered the phone.
        "Hey baby." Tyler's deep voice spoke causing Nia to smile wider. "We still on for tonight?"
        Nia sighed. "To be honest, I'm not feeling my best. Can we reschedule?"
        "Fa'sho. But are you alright? You need me to bring you anything?"
        "No you don't have to."
        "Are you sure?"
        Nia smiled at his persistence. "Tyler, I'm fine. It's just that I'm a woman. And we women go through this thing once a month that likes to kill us."
        "Ahh, I gotchu. Let me know if you need something."
        "I will. But don't worry about me. I'm fine. I just hate we couldn't go out tonight, I'm sorry about canceling."
        Tyler smacked his teeth. "Girl bye. I'm not mad. I completely understand. But ima check on you later. Rest up, ok?"
        "I will." Nia spoke. The pair said their goodbyes and Nia hung up the phone.