4

A few years before Tyler was born.

"What do you think? I could totally pull it off right?" I said holding the blouse in front off me.

"Um, of course, I mean, come on Candice, you'd look stunning in anything in this whole store," said Ashley. She's my best friend. We decided to go shopping today because I just broke up with my boyfriend...nah boy friend Ricky. See that space between 'boy' and 'friend'? That's the friend zone.

I put the blouse back, unsatisfied with its design. I look around some more, and see a beautiful pair of jeans. They're a faded black colour, and ripped. They're low waisted, and also within my price range. I take it off the hanger and decide to go try it on. I get to the changing rooms, and lock the door. The changing rooms are isolated from the rest of the store, so no-one really sees them.

It's unusually quiet, but I'm not worried. I put my handbag down, and look at the jeans I brought in. They would make Ricky so jealous. If he doesn't like me with my sweatpants on, then he doesn't deserve me at my best.

I get startled when I hear a loud bang in the next changing room, and keep still for a moment. I look at the jeans again, and decide that they probably fit, and I run out of there.

"Ash! Ashley! Where are you?!" I shout.

"By the underwear!" she shouts back. I quickly run to the underwear section of the store, and see her picking out a few bras.

"I literally never wash my bras, and I need to get new ones like literally every other week, and I don't understand why bras are so uncomfortable. They're like prisons for your boobs. What I really hate is the wire in it that sometimes digs into your skin. Its like bras were designed by men!" Ashley said, rambling.

"Calm down! They're just bras, no big deal. Why not just buy sport bras and use them as normal bras?" I asked.

"Because men are stupid and think that sports bras are only sexy when you work out," she said,"and my muffin top does not look sexy when I work out.

Yeah, okay, Ashley isn't a fitness maniac like me. She has an average body, she has long brown hair with streaks of dark blond in, and she has light brown eyes. She also has an intense love for all things male.

I, on the other hand, am slim, have naturally curly black hair, and I have dark brown eyes. Me and Ashley always freak out over the fact that we have the same colour eyes, just different shades. I have an obsession for everything that has to do with painting. I'm very artistic, and I love writing and singing songs in my free time.

"Okay, there are billions of people on this planet okay? I'm sure that a generous amount find you attractive," I said. She's always had problems with her self image, because she hasn't really ever had a boyfriend or had someone crushing on her or anything. She's not ugly, she's actually very pretty, but I think it's because she excels academically that lowers her attractiveness. Guys at our school have a problem with intelligent people.

"You know what, you're right!" she said happily. I always know how to cheer her up.

"I know, I'm always right," I said.

"So, how's your mom?" asked Ashley.

"Well, her due date it coming up soon," I said. My mom's pregnant, and I am not at all excited because I have been the only child for a very long time, and for my parent to be selfish enough to have a baby is maddening. I know that I'm going to grow very close to this child and most probably turn him gay, but right now, I'm just not feeling good about him.

"Have your parents decided on a name for him yet?" she asked.

"Nope, she said that it would come to her when she holds him for the first time. I kind of think it's dumb, cause next thing this child is named Oyster or Isaiah."

"What's wrong with Isaiah?" asked Ashley.

"Nothing, it's just really...biblical....and it's a weird name," I said.

"You know my dad's name is Isaiah," she said.

"Yes, I know," I said with a smile.

Ashley pays for her things, and we head out to have lunch. After lunch, we just take a walk around.

As we walk and are talking, we come across a man and his dog. He holds out a container, and has a poorly handmade sign that read 'Today's a beautiful day, too bad I can't see it".

"Oh my gosh, he's blind, this is so sad," said Ashley.

From my pocket, I take out $35 and put it in the container, and say to him,"Have a nice day mister, and I hope you put that money to good use."

We continue walking. Eventually, Ashley says that she needs to leave, as it was getting dark. I was then left alone.

I walked as it got darker, and the number of people on the street started to go down. After a while, there were no more people in the street. I walked, and saw a group of guys head toward me. I kept walking, thinking nothing of it. Then, they started running.

I immediately turned and ran in the other direction, but they were faster than me and they caught up. I got tackled onto the cold, hard pavement, and was pinned down. The other guys were celebrating. I tried freeing myself, but then, I felt a needle go into my arm, and I was knocked out.