Fourteen

Nick and Pete (2009)

My daughter, Mary, said she was never going to have kids. Well, that changed when she became pregnant at 16.

My wife, Cathy, has been dead for some time now so I'm all Mary has. I was never mad at her. I was always supportive of her. Now my granddaughter, Carmie, is 14.

Carmie's father has never been around, and Mary doesn't know how to get ahold of him to tell him he has a daughter. He had changed his number once the two of them broke up, before Mary had found out she was pregnant.

Nick likes to come over to our house and help Mary with Carmie even if that means having a tea party with her. He babysits her all the time and they have slumber parties, and even his girlfriend, Rita, loves Carmie. Carmie even calls him Uncle Nick.

"Carmie are you ready to go to Uncle Nick's?" I asked her one Saturday morning. Her mother was already at work, and I was getting ready to leave for mine.

"Can't I just stay home with you?" She asked so sweetly and innocently.

"Honey, you know I have to go to work. What's wrong with going over to Nick's?" I crossed my arms, wondering why she wouldn't want to go over to her favorite person in the whole wide world's house.

"Nothing's wrong, I just wanted to spend time with you Papa." She smiled at me.

"Well we can spend time together tomorrow. I don't have work." I booped her nose and picked up her backpack for her clothes. She'll be spending the night, because her mother and I don't get off work until later tonight and we thought it'd be best if she just stayed the night at his place.

Then the next day when I picked her up was also weird.

"Did you like being at Nick's?" I asked her.

"It hurts to sit down..." she looked down her feet.

"Why? What did you do?" My heart was beating at a rapid pace. I thought I would have a heart attack with how much it was beating. My face started to get warm, I was so mad. "What did Nick do?!" I grabbed her arm. 

"Nothing!" She yanked it out of my grip. "I accidentally tripped over the rug and fell down the stairs on my butt the whole way."

Her story sounded believable. She is the most clumsiest girl I've ever met, even clumsier than her mother.

Within the span of a week, my life started to spiral out of control. Mary died in a car crash. My life felt like it was being torn from me. My heart felt like it was ripped apart. Carmie has had to stay at Nick's while we get everything arranged and while I can cope emotionally.

Nick

My childhood friend is gone.

I loved Mary with all my heart and now she is gone. But, I have Carmie and she will do just fine.

"Hey Carmie can you come help me with dinner?!" I called up the stairs for her. I heard shuffling, and saw her beautiful figure descending the stairs.

Carmie looks exactly like her mother. Dark brown hair, pale complexion, freckles dusted across her nose, and bright hazel eyes. Her bust is big but not too big, and she's not fat but not skinny. She's thicc. The perfect woman.