Twenty

Violet

My girlfriend Sam and I love going to party's and bars. Ever since I turned 21, we've been drinking every night and getting drunk.

Sam and I have been together for two years now, we met at a golf course. I know I'm not the type to go to one, but my ex had dragged me there. Sam and I ended up hitting it off and a week later we went on our first date.

We were at a bar downtown, getting drunk as usual. Sam kissed me, looked at her phone, then went wide eyed. "I have work in the morning. We have to go, babe."

"Okay!" I yelled over the music. We hadn't thought of calling a cab, which we should've, but I drove.

I had lots of practice driving drunk, so I was a natural at it. However, this night was different.

I was stopped at a red light, I saw a family in a mini van pass by. The light turned green, I gunned the gas pedal harder than I thought.

I wavered around. Before I knew it, I slammed right into the van. Our car flipped, while the van turned over and over and over and finally blew up. I held my pounding head and looked over at Sam. A tree branch had impaled her in the stomach. Her face was expressionless.

I cried out for her. I dazed in and out of consciousness. When I woke again I was being pulled out by paramedics.

I had minor injuries, a fractured knee and a concussion.

I stared off into space in my cell as I served life in prison for vehicular man slaughter and drunk driving.

Fin