Two

Carley (2012)

Carley sat at her desk in her one bedroom apartment. She held a bottle of vodka in her hands as she tried to steady her breathing.

They had given her a story. It was similar to hers, three years ago. She breathed in and out, trying to gain the confidence to call her boss and tell him he needs to give this one to someone else.

A child and her father were in a freak accident, killing them both instantly. She read the outline, one more time, and started to shake. She had no more tears left to cry.

Finally, after ten minutes of her staring at nothing, she grabbed the phone and dialed the office.

"Carley? What're you doing calling this late?"
Bill questioned.

"I-I can't do that story, Bill."

"Well why not?"

"You have to give it to someone else. Please." She begged.

"Carley—"

"It's too close to what happened with my son and husband, Bill. I can't."

"Okay. Sorry, I forgot. I'll give it to Janice."

"Thank you. And do you know where I can contact Christine Meyers?"

"The woman who's child and husband died?"

"Yes. I would like to speak to her please."

"Yeah. Do you have a pen and paper beside you?"

"Yes."

"Okay. 470-546-6789" (A/N NOT A REAL NUMBER DO NOT CALL YES THERE ARE STUPID PEOPLE WHO WILL DO THAT)

Carley thanked Bill, then hung up the phone. She decided to wait until tomorrow when it wasn't so late to call the woman.

Around noon the next morning, she picked up the phone, hands shaking. She dialed the ten numbers, then held the phone up to her ear.

A faint voice sounded in her ear. "Hello?"

"Christine Meyers?"

"Yes, that's me."

"This is Carley Vigil of WABE Atlanta Newspaper. Do you have time to talk?"

"I'm not doing anymore interviews! Leave me alone!" The woman yelled.

"Christine! I don't want to interview you! I actually turned your story down when my boss gave it to me. I went through something similar three years ago."

"Well, I guess I do then."

"I don't want to do it on the phone. Would you mind meeting me somewhere?"

"Sure. Reena's fine?"

"Yeah." Carley agreed. Reena's is a coffee shop in the outskirts of Atlanta. "When are you free?"

"Well, right now is fine."

"Okay. Goodbye Christine. I'll see you in a few."

"Bye." Christine hung up, leaving Carley alone again.

Carley grabbed her purse, and headed out the door. It would be a ten minute drive to get to Reena's.

When Carley got there, she noticed a blonde sitting alone in a booth. She wasn't wearing nice clothes. She looked a mess, like she had just woken up. Carley sat in front of the woman.

"Christine?" Carley questioned.

"Yeah."

"Nice you meet you Christine. I'm Carley." Carley held out her hand, and Christine took it, slowly. She barely even shook Carley's hand before letting go.

"What did you want to talk about?" Christine questioned.

"I've went through the same thing as you, Christine. Three years ago." Carley explained. "I just wanted to see if you'd be willing to talk to me about anything you want to get through pain. I'm here for you."

"Thank you." Christine burst out crying. "I don't know what to do anymore. Peter was supposed to be there when I give birth. He didn't even know I was pregnant. Little Molly was supposed to be there when her little brother or sister is born, but she'll never get to meet them."

"I'm so sorry." Carley tried so hard to not cry, but a few tears escaped her eyes. "My husband, Tom, and son, Sam, died three years ago in an accident. Tom died instantly while Sam was rushed to ICU, where he had multiple surgeries done. He didn't survive in the long run." Carley explained, breaking down at the end.

"I'm so sorry." Christine cried out.

Fin