Chapter Nineteen

Bluefur led the Clan into ThunderClan camp, eyes dull and tail drooping. No-one was in camp because of the storm, but when RiverClan walked in cats stuck their heads out of the dens. Thistleclaw walked out of the warriors den with a scowl. "Bluefur. It looks like you brought the whole of RiverClan with you. Are you going to try and fight us by walking in our camp?" He taunted. "You just ruined the element of surprise, you know."

Bluefur's eyes narrowed. She wouldn't reply to his nonsense. "Fetch Sunstar," she hissed. "Now."

--

Inside Sunstar's den, Bluefur was dripping wet, her fur plastered to her body. She stared at the leader, desperation in her eyes. "Please let us stay," she rasped. "Our camp was completely flooded. Brambleberry died and-" 

"Where is Hailstar?" Sunstar interrupted calmly, his tail tip twitching. "His deputy shouldn't be the one speaking for RiverClan."

Bluefur glared at him for a moment before replying. "He's dead," she replied flatly, her face betraying no emotion.

Sunstar blinked in surprise, and then he dipped his head. "I always expected you'd become a leader one day, Bluefur. But not like this," he sighed with sadness in his eyes.

Bluefur shrugged. "Well I am, and RiverClan needs your help. Please let us stay in your camp until the floods have gone down," she hissed, her eyes widening.

Sunstar's brows furrowed, and he hesitated before replying. "Okay. But your warriors must hunt and fight with us, and the second your camp is good enough to live in you can go back." 

Bluefur nodded. "That sounds good-"

"And you will not get your nine lives until RiverClan has moved out," Sunstar finished. "Until you leave, you are part of ThunderClan."

Bluefur scowled, then reluctantly nodded. "Yes, Sunstar."

Quietly she padded out of the leader's den, looking at her cats and the cats of ThunderClan mingled with them. "RiverClan is allowed to stay," she announced. "If we fight and hunt with ThunderClan. The second our camp is fit to live in, we leave. And I can't get my lives until we leave."

Mossdapple's fur bushed out in panic. "What if you die?! We won't have a leader!"

Bluefur snorted in reply. "I won't die. I've survived this long," she purred. She turned to the deputy. "Sunstar also told me for you to include us in patrols," she meowed with a dip of her head.

Thistleclaw snarled. "I guessed that, thank you."

Bluefur decided not to be openly hostile to the ThunderClan deputy, even though she desperately wanted to claw his throat out. She nodded and padded off. Thistleclaw hissed, his long fur dripping wet from the rain. "Let's go inside our dens for now," the grey tom growled. "Which we would still be doing if someone didn't barge in."

Bluefur didn't react, only entering the Warriors' den. She lay down on a bit of earth since there was no moss left. "RiverClan, we'll get moss tomorrow for our nests," she meowed, folding her paws underneath her and closing her eyes.

When Bluefur woke up, she was in the dark forest staring at Mapleshade. The tortoiseshell she-cat was grinning. "I did it! I helped you become a leader!" The evil she-cat purred.

Bluefur snarled, crouching to leap at Mapleshade. She leapt and the she-cat disappeared, appearing again behind her. "You might've caught me off guard once," Mapleshade meowed. "But not again. You can keep on trying and trying to attack me, but it will never work!"

Bluefur shook her head from side to side. "Leave me alone, foxheart! You killed him! You killed Hailstar!" She screeched, raising a paw to swipe at her. Mapleshade only smirked.

"To help you, of course, dearie," she purred, tail swishing against the grass. "Everything I do has been to help you, and see how it's helped!"

Bluefur shut her eyes tight as Mapleshade let out a cackle. She forced herself to fade away from the dark forest and into the real world.

--

Two sunrises later, Bluefur was assigned on a patrol with Whitestorm, Tigerclaw Thistleclaw and Darkstripe to look at the RiverClan camp. On the way, Bluefur felt extremely awkward, around four toms that seemed to either dislike or hate her. She closed her eyes and looked sideways at Thistleclaw. "Thistleclaw," she began slowly. "I'm the leader of RiverClan now, and you'll soon be the leader of ThunderClan, and I don't want bad blood between us anymore. I'd like an era of peace between ThunderClan and RiverClan when we're both leaders, so no blood is spilled for no good reason. Please, will you let that happen?"

Thistleclaw was silent. His gaze looked thoughtful, making Bluefur rather surprised. Was he going to say yes? He looked at her, and his eyes immediately filled with scorn and anger. "Why would I become allies with you?!" He spat, eyes wild. "You traitorous fox-heart, I'd rather die than be in an alliance with you. When I lead ThunderClan, I'll soon lead all the Clans."

Bluefur took a step back from the fury in Thistleclaw's eyes. "Of course," she meowed calmly. "That's your choice. But if ThunderClan is ever in need of help when you're Thistlestar, we will help if you'd like us to."

"ThunderClan asks for help from no Clan!" The deputy of ThunderClan snarled. He inhaled deeply and then sighed. "I think you should go back to RiverClan, right now, or there will be consequences," he meowed coldly.

"But-"

"Right. Now."

Bluefur sighed. "The second we get back to camp we'll go home. Let's just check the camp first."

With a curt nod, Thistleclaw bounded forwards, his tail lashing. Bluefur followed with her eyes narrowed and a scowl on her face.

--

Bluefur walked into Sunstar's den, dipping her head as she entered. "Sunstar," she greeted.

"Bluefur," Sunstar replied simply, his eyes curious. "Is RiverClan camp fit to live in now?"

Bluefur hesitated. The camp was absolutely destroyed. But how could she say that, when Thistleclaw was threatening to do something to her if she didn't go. The RiverClan she-cat nodded, with a flick of her tail and a twitch of her ears.

"Yes, Sunstar. We're ready to go home now," she murmured.

Sunstar nodded. "I expect you'll be going to the moonstone soon then?" He suggested.

Bluefur nodded, turning and padding away. She gathered her warriors and the Clan left, back to their horribly destroyed camp. As they neared it, cats gasped at how ravaged it was. Bluefur sighed.

"We're home."