Chapter Sixteen

Bluefur watched the swollen river, the sun seeming now obnoxious in green-leaf. She scowled as the rays beat down on her fur, making her hot and bothered. It seemed like the best time to go for a swim, but the river was overflowing and Bluefur had to worry now about there being a flood.

"It will most likely flood," Stonefur confirmed, approaching Bluefur with a concerned look in his eyes. Bluefur sighed, resigned. "Then we'll just have to get ready for when that happens," She decided, lifting her head. "Make sure every cat back at camp knows that there might be a flood that reaches the camp and make sure no-one is worried about it."

Stonefur nodded determinedly. "Okay," he meowed, jumping off into the bushes.

As Bluefur sat next to the river, awful visions suddenly flashed into her head. Water flooding the camp, cats trying desperately to swim, a body that Bluefur tried to identify-

She shook her head of the visions and scampered off into the undergrowth. She got away from the swirling black water and blinked as the visions went away. Then she ran almost right into Mapleshade.

"Bluefur. Lovely to see you here," Mapleshade greeted. "How are you doing?"

Bluefur scowled, turning away. "Leave me alone, Mapleshade," she hissed, surprised that her voice sounded a little desperate. "Please."

Mapleshade blinked. "Oh but why, darling? You love having Mapleshade around, don't you?" she called after Bluefur, an almost menacing tone in her voice. 

Bluefur swung her head around to glower at the evil she-cat. "No, I don't need you around. Go away and leave me alone for the rest of my life, please and thank you."

Mapleshade watched as she padded away and appeared right in front of the deputy as she was out of sight.

"You can't get rid of me that easy, Bluefur. I thought you would have known that by now!" Mapleshade sighed. Her tail lashed. "You're not stupid, are you?"

Bluefur slashed at Mapleshade's cheek, spilling blood. Mapleshade stared at her with surprised eyes and then, with rage in her eyes, she disappeared.

Bluefur flicked her tail and stalked away, a growl rising in her throat. Her tail lashed as she followed the river, around to the border next to WindClan territory. It went out a lot more than it usually did, making Bluefur feel uncomfortable. She dipped her paw into the swollen water, relaxing. It was so cold and refreshing and made her feel great. She moved more into the water, eventually wading in it, the water brushing her belly fur.

"Hey, what are you doing?!" A voice yowled.

Bluefur yelped and scampered out of the water as a WindClan patrol approached, with Talltail at the lead. Bluefur dipped her head.

"Talltail," she greeted. "How are you doing?"

Talltail seemed to relax. "Bluefur. I'm well. How is RiverClan?" The WindClan cat asked, tipping his head to one side.

"RiverClan is doing well, thank you!" Bluefur purred. "It's so hot, I thought I'd go for a swim."

Talltail shook his head jokingly. "I don't get you RiverClan cats. Well, good to know you guys are alright," he meowed, waving his tail. "Right, let's go check the ShadowClan border."

Bluefur watched the WindClan cats leave, sitting down and beginning to groom herself. She listened to the paw steps as they padded away and looked down at the swollen river. What do my visions mean? She wondered nervously. What bad things will happen to RiverClan?

--

Bluefur walked back to camp with her tail tip twitching. Inside the camp, Oakheart was helping build the camp, she walked over, happy that he was walking, but as she opened her mouth to greet him, he turned his head to glare at her. "So you've finally shown up. Seems like you were sunning yourself while the rest of us were working."

Bluefur was taken aback. "I was patrolling the river to see how it had overflown!" She defended herself with a hiss.

Oakheart dismissed her argument with a flick of his ear. "How do we know that? You might've been sitting in the river and not doing anything else," he scowled at Bluefur's dripping wet pelt.

"So what if I took a break to swim?" Bluefur hissed, exasperated. "It's extremely hot. If any of you took a break to dip in the water I wouldn't mind!"

Oakheart snarled. "Why is it our deputy gets to sit in the river lazily while she orders us to work all day?" He meowed loudly.

"I was taking a break! If anyone wants to do that now or any time for a few minutes, then they can!" Bluefur yowled back.

Stonefur trotted over to the brown tom, resting his tail tip on his shoulder. "Oakheart, you might be grumpy because of the heat. Come and swim with me."

Oakheart, after a brief hesitation, nodded and walked off after his son, shooting a glare at Bluefur as he left. Bluefur sighed, her tail lashing. His brilliant amber gaze was so much like Thistleclaw's. She dug her claws into the ground and glared back at Oakheart with as much fury as his gaze held.

But as she watched Oakheart, her eyes narrowed, she began to feel her chest tighten. She could hardly hear or see her other Clanmates, focusing on the way Oakheart's amber eyes were cold and furious as he stared at her. She began to bristle and lash her tail more. The visions flashed back into her mind, but even more vivid. A tom desperately trying to make his way from the sucking waters, her watching with terrified eyes, the waters making her unable to swim, and-

She shook them clear. It didn't matter. What mattered was now. Bluefur almost smiled wryly. Not like now was any better. She stared after her mate as he stalked off, his fluffy tail lashing and gaze staring right at her even when he wasn't looking at her. She could feel the heat of his gaze, hanging her head in embarrassment. 

Would things ever be right again with Bluefur and her mate? Would they ever have the same loving relationship they had once before?

Bluefur turned to walk off. He was just grieving. Everything would turn out fine soon.

Right?