Chapter Twenty Four

Bluestar woke up the next morning still feeling miserable.

She padded slowly and guiltily out of camp, watching the cats go about their ordinary business. Would their routines be ruined by her and her horrible secret? 

She shook her head, tail lashing. Not everything would be ruined. Maybe nothing would happen at all. She inhaled deeply and walked closer. "Good morning," she purred shakily. 

Cats dipped their heads and looked at her sympathetically, making her feel worse. She shook out her fur and looked at her clanmates determinedly. "Where's Stonefur?" She asked calmly. 

Mistyfoot stepped forwards, her ears twitching. "He's out on a patrol," she reported with a smile. "He'll be back soon, though."

Bluestar nodded curtly. "Thanks, Mistyfoot," she meowed, turning and trotting out of the camp.

--

Bluestar found herself wandering towards the sunningrocks. She swam across the river, which was still rather swollen, but made it to the other side. She sat down on the rocks, grooming herself.

"Hey!" A voice yowled, making Bluestar jump and unsheathe her claws.

Bluestar saw Whitestorm stalking over to her. "Hey, traitor. What're you doing on ThunderClan territory?"

Bluestar hissed. "This is RiverClan territory and rightfully so. I'd suggest you don't cross our borders."

"I would've thought you were fine with crossing borders," the white tom sneered. "Since you went over ThunderClan's to meet Oakheart."

Bluestar tried her best not to bristle and lunge at her nephew. "Whitestorm, I... I'm sorry. For leaving, for being with Oakheart."

Whitestorm snorted. "Save it, traitor! I don't need you anymore. I have Thistleclaw and Tigerclaw. I have kits! I don't need an aunt who left me for RiverClan!"

Bluestar flinched. "How is Willowpelt?" She asked softly, sinking back when he glared at her. 

"Why do you care?!" He yowled, tail bushing up. "I'm fine with my father."

Bluestar sighed. "I'll leave, Whitestorm. But remember that this is RiverClan territory. We have scent marks here, and they aren't moving any time soon."

As the leader stalked off, she heard Whitestorm call after her. "This is so much more than borders!"

--

Bluestar walked back to camp, fuming. She padded over to Stonefur, who was sharing tongues with Mistyfoot. As she entered the camp, he sat up and dipped his head to her. "Bluestar. Mistyfoot told me that you were looking for me? Is there something you need?" He asked cautiously.

Bluestar calmed down, then nodded. "Would you like to go on a walk with me? I need to talk to you."

"Yes, Bluestar," the grey tom replied, following her back out of camp.

As the two walked, Bluestar thought about what to say. She opened her mouth, but Stonefur talked first.

"About the gathering," he meowed, tail tip twitching. "What will you do?"

Bluestar's mouth went dry. "I was going to ask you," she muttered. "What do you think I should do?"

Stonefur's ear twitched. "It depends. If I were you, I wouldn't respond and let it all blow over. But I'm not you. So what do you think is the best way of getting this rumour to stop?"

Bluestar's ears pricked up in surprise. "You think it'd just blow over?"

"Of course. Drama does eventually, doesn't it?" Stonefur meowed nonchalantly.

"You aren't worried about it at all?" Bluestar asked in surprise. "But you're my kit!"

"And? It doesn't help to get all involved in the rumours," Stonefur replied.

Bluestar didn't answer, thinking about how Stonefur was right and it would blow over, but she couldn't truly believe that. What if it went on forever and everyone thought she was a traitor and shouldn't be a leader? She deliberately didn't look at Stonefur, looking at the river now in front of them.

"It's a lot less flooded," she commented, hoping to change the subject from the night before.

Stonefur glanced at her with a concerned expression but didn't start up the conversation again. "Yes, it is."

Bluestar stared into the distance for a few seconds, before sighing. "I'm sorry."

Stonefur didn't react. "What for?"

"For leaving ThunderClan. For being with Oakheart," Bluestar whispered.

"Don't be sorry. I wouldn't be the cat I am now if I wasn't born or if we were raised in ThunderClan. I might've ended up like Tigerclaw," Stonefur answered briskly. "You really don't need to worry about it."

Bluestar smiled sadly.  "Thank you, Stonefur," she purred. "I'm so glad you didn't end up like Tigerclaw or... Whitestorm." 

Her son tipped his head to one side. "Was Whitestorm always so... violent? He seems troubled," he murmured thoughtfully.

Bluestar hung her head. "He used to be such a thoughtful and kind apprentice. A lot like you, actually. You could've been good friends."

Stonefur shook out his fur. "I couldn't imagine him being kind," he snorted, lapping at the river. When he looked back up at Bluestar, there was a glimmer of amusement in his icy blue eyes.

Bluestar smiled wryly. "Me neither. Thistleclaw must've-" She broke off, squinting as she stared across the river into ThunderClan territory. On the other side, a dark grey tom was talking to a brown tom and a white tom. She scowled. "Speak of the devil."

She flinched as for a split second a fire was swallowing the cats and the forest whole. She shook her head of the vision. "What are they talking about?"

Faintly, she could hear what the cats were saying. She listened intently to the conversation.

"Then we'll get rid of that piece of foxdung! I'll be Thistlestar, and finally, Bluestar will get her revenge for being such a traitor," Thistleclaw snarled, digging his claws into the grass. "The visions have been stronger," the tom continued, looking at Tigerclaw. "Fire destroying the forest, and ThunderClan's leader."

Tigerclaw let out a laugh. "And then you'll be one step closer to your goal!" 

Whitestorm said nothing, looking away from the two and into the forest. "I saw a kittypet the other day."

Thistleclaw scowled. "And? Kittypets are weak and stupid!"

Whitestorm shook his head. "No. When I looked at him I realised he could have so much potential. He had a ginger coat, which looked like fire in the sun. Do you think he has something to do with your vision?"

Thistleclaw grinned. "Do you think he'd be a good fighter?"

The white tom nodded. "We should recruit him."

Bluestar took a step back, feeling sick. The ginger cat was the cat she saw in her dreams! What was Thistleclaw going to do to him, Sunstar and all of ThunderClan?