Sheriff Brae Ridley

Brae

"Fuck it, pull back," I whisper. We retreat back down the stairs.

With the lights on we probably had a chance, but I ain't riskin' it with the lights off. I figure I'll get some backup and we'll find this guy together. I turn on my radio again, but before I can say anything we hear a poundin' comin' from a locked door.

I realize it's the basement door, the one that was locked earlier. Carson went to get a key but never came back. Doc glances at me and I nod. He takes the right side, and I take the left. "Sheriff's Department!" I yell.

The poundin' stops. "Sheriff?"

"Will?"

Will makes a strange noise, somethin' in between a sigh and a grunt. "The door's locked, Sheriff. I can't get out."

I roll my eyes. "Will, get as far back as you can." Doc nods at me, and with a grunt, I kick the door. It flies open, the lock breaking. Will runs up the stairs.

"How the hell did you get in there?"

Will blinks. "I found a spare key."

I start to say something but decide against it. "Let's get you outta here."

"Why?"

"There's someone else here. Come on." Will hesitates but follows us out the door. There's a strange look in his eyes. I've seen it before, but I can't place it.