Deputy Dana Arlington

Dana

I think everyone's making this more of a big deal than it is. The house is creepy, I get that, but I don't see why everyone has to make such a huge deal about it. Guess it's just a small town. I end up taking most of the calls to the house. Everyone else is scared of it. Not that they'd admit it. "We're not scared," they say, "but better safe than sorry!"

Back in Depressing nobody would care if you left your lights on all day. Even if it was an abandoned house. I look up as Douglass moves. The realtor's coming down the hill. "All good?" Douglass asks.

I know what he's thinking. "This is fucking stupid and I want to go home."

"Looking for the basement key," says Carson. I nod, and he goes to his car.

Carson's probably thinking something like "I don't know what's happening but I'm scared to find out."

"Any news, Dep?" calls out one of the onlookers.

"Nothing yet," I shout back. "Why don't you head on home?"

He just shrugs at me. I roll my eyes. People. "Hey, can you go shut those kids playing on the street up? Hey deputy, I can't find my keys and I think my wife stole them!" Or my favorite, "I think my neighbor is a terrorist!" I swear, there's always somebody who needs something from you.

Carson digs through his bag before pulling out a manila folder with "McKenzie" written on it in black marker. He takes out some papers and a few photographs, then shakes his head. "Nope, not here. Where the hell...?" As he slams the car door, I suddenly feel Michelle tense up.

She narrows her eyes towards the back of the house. Her hand slides to her holster in an almost unconscious movement. I glance at Michelle, wondering what she's thinking.