Henry McKenzie

Henry

Will's lost his mind. He was never the same after the river incident. He blamed dad completely, they fought almost every day until he left. Things got better after that. If only mom had stayed.

Courtney and I moved out at around the same time. We lost contact with him after that. I've always been wary that Will would try to do something, but I never could have imagined this. Courtney blamed Will and Will blamed Dad. It's an endless cycle, one that doesn't lead anywhere or do anything.

"Dad, I need to know the truth. Why are we here?"

Dad draws a long, defeated breath. "I'm not well, Henry."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sick, Henry. Dying. I don't have much left in me."

My eyes widen. "What? How do you know? What happened?"

"What does it matter?" says Courtney.

"Your sister's right. It doesn't matter. I just wanted to see my family again and say how sorry I am for the way things turned out." He rubs his face again. "But I guess Will hasn't forgiven me."

Courtney sighs, rolling her eyes. "Dad, you did nothing wrong. Will's head is screwed up. That's what I've been saying for years now. "

I want to say something, something that will pull us all together again. I want to say that there's a way we can bring Will back from the hatred that corrupted him. But before I can think of anything someone with a gun comes up the stairs.