Chapter One

Nikki ran into the mess hall, panting. She sat down at Max and Neil's table. They looked at her, confused. "Sorry I'm late, I was...busy.", she said. She looked nervous. Max sipped his coffee. "You've been late the last three weeks, what's going on?", Neil asked. Nikki forced an innocent smile. "Nothing just girl stuff.". "Nikki, you used the period excuse last week, what is it?", Max asked. Nikki sighed. "Its nothing, I swear!". "Nikki, you better-". Nikki stood up. "Sorry I gotta go.". She ran out. Max stared at the door. "You should go see what she's up to.", Neil said. Max sighed and stood up. "Fine.", he muttered.
Max shoved the curtain out of the way and walked into Nikki's tent. She looked up, shocked and hid something behind her back. She smiled. "Oh hi, Max!", she said in a fake-happy tone. Max rolled his eyes. "Cut the crap, Nikki. What are you hiding?". Nikki looked scared and shook her head. "Nikki I swear if you're hiding another anaconda under your bed I'm gonna-".
"MUACK"
Max froze. He knew that sound, he heard it everyday. But the platypus was in the mess hall when he left. He stared at her. She looked terrified. "Nikki, is that a platypus?", he asked. Nikki's bottom lip quivered. She looked like she was holding something in. After a second, she burst into tears and fell to her knees. Max stared at her, unsure of what to do. She held out her hands as tears poured down her cheeks. In her hands was a tiny platypus. It had a small yellow bandana around his head, a floof of fur on his head identical to Nikki's, and a little sea green tint in its eyes. Nikki wheezed. "I found-*sob*-him in the mess-*sob*-hall. The platypus-*sob*-threw him up. I was afraid Mr.Campbell would-*sob*- sell him. So I kept him a -*sob*-secret.". She sniffed and wiped her tears, which did nothing cause more poured down. "Please don't tell anyone!", she begged.
Nikki was trembling. Max was speechless. He fell to the floor next to her. He didn't know how it lived, but it did. "Can I hold it?", he asked. Nikki stared at him. It was the most inappropriate question at the time. "Yeah...", she said. She handed him to Max. Max cradled it in his hands, it was so small. I mean, not as small as he remembered it, but he had pretty tiny hands and the platypus could fit in them so that's pretty small. He stroked it's fur. "What's his name?", he asked. Nikki stopped crying and wiped her tears. "Aquatapus.". Max giggled. Nikki smiled and laughed.
Max patted Aquatapus's head. The platypus's eyes lit up as he muacked. Max laughed. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?", he asked. Nikki sighed. "I didn't want Campbell to sell it, but now he's running free in the woods so...". She looked down. "He's like my son, and I love him.". Max smiled. "I do too.". Nikki smiled. They laughed.
Neil opened the curtain. "Hi guys what are you-". He froze and stared at them. "What is that?", he asked. "Aquatapus.", Nikki said. Neil stared at him. "Is that the platypus from egg day?", he asked. Nikki nodded. Neil stared at it. "But it was dead.". "It survived.", Max said. Neil sighed. He had a look of jealousy on his face. Max recognized that look, he gave it a lot.   Neil sat down. "Wow.", he said. Max smiled at Aquatapus. "Hi, Aqua.", he said. Aqua muacked. Max smiled. "Guess I'm a dad now.".