Chapter Nine

Max stared at them. Everybody was drinking the juice, enjoying it, laughing at Toshi's clever humor. Max sighed and looked at Aqua. He looked sad. "I know, I wish your mom would come back too.". Aqua sadly muacked. Max patted his head. "I don't trust Toshi either.", he said. Aqua cuddled up to Max's chest. Max smiled. He often had daydreams about stuff like this. Aqua being his son and Nikki cuddling up to his chest...
He caught himself and shook his head. He tried that already. He spent the whole ball dropping hints and flirting, even Neil, Nerris, Harrison, Preston, and Tabii helped. But Nikki was too naive. Max sighed and looked down at Aqua. Max kinda felt sorry for him. His own mother ate him then abandoned him to two clueless ten year olds. Aqua never really stood a chance at life. Max looked at him with determination. He was gonna do everything in his power to make Aqua the happiest creature ever. He assumed if Nikki was hanging with Toshi and Aqua didn't like Toshi, then Max was gonna be taking care of him full time for now. He stood up and walked out of the mess hall, leaving all of them behind.
Max laughed. Aqua was splashing in the water, he had recently learned how to swim. Max was sitting on the dock, watching him. Aqua muacked happily. Max smiled and laughed again. "Max?". Max turned around and looked up. It was Nikki, but it didn't look like her. She had bags under her eyes, her skin was pale, and she looked pretty weak. Max wanted to get mad, but she looked horrible. "What's wrong with you?", Max asked. Nikki dizzily swung back and forth before falling to her knees. "I don't feel so good.", she said. Max was about to help her, when she fell onto the dock. Max, in a panic, laid her on his lap. He put his hand on her heart, nothing. He dared to look at her face, her eyes looked blank and dead.
"No...", Max said shaking her lightly. Nothing. "NO!", he yelled louder and shaking her harder. Nothing. "NIKKI THIS ISN'T FUNNY!!". Nothing. Max held her tight and cried. "Wake up...", he said. Aqua muacked, terrified and climbed onto the dock. He nudged Nikki with his beak and whimpered. Max cried. "Nikki, please wake up...", he said. Nothing. Max cried harder. Aqua whimpered with sadness and snuggled up to his mom. Max looked around, no one was in sight. "SOMEONE HELP!"