Chapter Ten

No response. Max decided that if they wernt gonna come to him, he would come to them. He stood up with Nikki in his arms. He put his ear up to her chest, still nothing. Max wiped his tears and his shoulder, scooped up Aqua and set him in Nikki's lap. Then he ran, he ran faster then he had ever ran in his life. He ran all the way to the mess hall and kicked open the door. Every one was in there, perfectly healthy and happy. They all stared at him as he dropped Nikki onto he table. They all stared at her. " Well don't just sit there, help her!!!", Max yelled. Gwen checked her heartbeat and sighed. She put her hand on Nikki's neck and sighed again. "Max she's-".
"NO SHE IS NOT NOW HELP HER!", Max yelled. Gwen looked sad and uncomfortable. Nobody did anything. Max didn't even care that the person who hurt Nikki was in the room, guilt free. He just wanted her fixed. Everybody was silent. "Fine then, you selfish brats! I'll do it myself!", he yelled. He picked Nikki back up and let Aqua rest on his bushy hair. Not like Aqua was resting, he was squirming around whimpering with fear and worry. Max ran out of the room. He heard David and Gwen run after him, he didn't care. He ran to the counselors cabin and kicked open the door. He laid Nikki on David's bed and looked around. He spotted some random medicine and scooped it up. He read the labels. Headache pills, fever meds, allergy pills, a epipen. Nothing useful. Then he saw a bottle of food poisoning pills and imeditally dropped all the bottles and opened that one. He poured a couple pills into his hand and stuffed them into Nikki's mouth. He grabbed some water and dumped it into her mouth, to make sure she swallowed it.
He heard Gwen and David burst though the door. They ran up to Max. "Max, I'm sorry but...", David started. Max glared at him. "No you're not, you just don't want to deal a lawsuit. If you really did care about her, you would've listened to me.". "But we're fine and we drank the juice and we're fine.", Gwen said. Max thought about it. "He's killing us off one by one.", he said. Gwen and David looked at eachother. Max stared at Nikki, waiting. Nothing happened. He sighed as tears rolled down his face. "She really is gone.", he said. He picked her up in his arms, Aqua still whimpering, and walked out of the room. Gwen and David followed him. "Go back to the others and your beloved Toshi, if you don't care about her then I don't want you to help.", Max said, still walking and not looking at them.
They followed him anyway. Max glared at them. "Leave.", he said. "Max, we can't just let you take her.", Gwen said. Max sighed. "I'm gonna bring her back, you either help or leave.". David and Gwen looked at eachother. Gwen sighed. "You go take care of the campers, I'll help Max.", she said. David nodded and ran to the mess hall. Gwen turned to Max, who didn't expect her to want to help. He started walking towards the lake, Gwen following. "So, what exactly are you planning?", Gwen asked. Max was silent for a second. "We're going to Spooky Island to find Jasper." Max remembered Gwen didn't know who Jasper was. "Jasper's a-". "I know how Jasper is, David talks about him all the time.", Gwen interrupted. Max nodded. He hopped into the boat and sat down. He laid Nikki on his lap and checked if Aqua was still in his hair, which he was. Gwen stepped into the boat and started rowing. "You still don't think it was Toshi, do you?", Max asked. Gwen sighed.
"He's a good kid, I think you just don't like him, which I'm not too worried about cause you don't really like anything.". Max sighed. She was right. The boat pulled up to the shore of Spooky Island. Max hopped out. Gwen followed. Max sighed. "Lets do this.".