Chapter Eleven

Max crunched through the leaves the covered he ground. He and Gwen had been walking for half an hour, searching for Jasper. Max put his hand on Nikki's chest, who was in his arms, still nothing. He sighed, he still couldn't believe she was dead. Nikki, the most happy energetic and adventurous person he knew, dead. Gwen was stoking Aqua, then yelped. Max spun around, trying his best not to drop Nikki. Gwen was looking at the ground, Aqua not in her arms. Max groaned. "Not again!". They heard a rustle in the bushes and ran after it, they ran until they found a clearing, becuase thats where Aqua sat. Gwen scooped him up and looked around. "Hello?", said a voice.
Max sighed of relief. "Jasper...", he muttered. Jasper emerged from a nearby bush and smiled. "Hey Max!". Jasper looked down at Nikki and sighed. "How'd she die?", he asked. Max sighed. "A cultist child poisoned her.", he said. Jasper walked closer and looked at her. "And why did you need me?". "Well, we thought maybe since you were a ghost and stuff maybe you could bring her back?", Gwen said. Jasper looked at her. "I'm a dead kid, that's all. The only reason I'm not in the afterlife is becuase my soul is yet to rest, so I'm stuck here. I don't think I can help you, sorry.". Max sighed as a tear rolled down his cheek. He shoved Nikki into Jasper's arms, which startled him. Max stared into Jasper's misty eyes. "Bring her back.", he ordered. Jasper looked uncomfortable as he stared down at Nikki. He sighed. "There is something I can do, but I'm not sure it will work.". "ANYTHING!", Max said throughs tears. Jasper nodded. "Ok, give me a second.", he said and laid Nikki's body on the ground. He disappeared into the trees.
After a moment, Jasper came back carrying a baseball bat. But it didn't look normal, it looked misty and see through like he did. He held the bat up for everyone to see. "This is a ghost bat, it damages the soul but not the body.". Max stared at it. "Where did you get it?", Gwen asked. Jasper put it down. "Campbell had it in his attic for some reason.", he said. Gwen nodded. "And what are you gonna do with it?", Max asked. Jasper sighed. "I hope this works...", he muttered. He stood over Nikki and raised the bat. Then he slammed it into her body, Max wanted to push him away from her but he noticed that the bat went straight through her. Jasper did it over and over again. He finally sighed and moved away from her body. They stared at it, waiting. Finally, something happened.
A white silhouette emerged from her body. After a moment, the silhouette turned into what seemed to be Nikki, but different. You could see right through her and she had a misty glow to her. Nikki rubbed her eyes and looked around. "Why are you all staring? Where are we? What's wrong with me?". She asked. Then she looked at her body and screamed. The screams quickly turned to laughter. "AWESOME IM A GHOST!". Max stared at her. " Jasper, please tell me this isn't the end of your plan.", he said. Jasper nodded, "Don't worry folks! She won't be a ghost forever, at least if my plan works.". Nikki examined her arms then heard a muack. It was Aqua. Nikki ran to him and snatched him from Gwen. She held him tight as he muacked happily. "I missed you too.", she said. Max had so many questions, but he brushed them off. "Come on.", he said, "We still have to bring you back.".