Chapter Five

Max stroked Aqua's fur. It had been two days since they got mad at Neil, and Max has managed to ignore him the whole time. Nikki skipped up to him. "You ready?", she asked. Max nodded. They set Aqua in the shallow water, inches away from the bay. They were at the lake, trying to teach Aqua how to swim. Max pulled something out of his pocket. They were two tiny floaties, he made them himself. Max put on on each wing. Nikki frowned. "Max the water is like two inches deep, he's not gonna drown!", she said. Max sighed. "But the tide could drift him away!". Nikki sighed. "Its a lake, there is no tide! He's never gonna learn how to swim like that!". Max rolled his eyes and took them off. Nikki smiled. Max blushed, like he always did when Nikki smiled lately.
That was the moment Max realized something, he finally knew what that feeling was! It was a crush. Max felt like gagging. He had never had a crush in his life, and he never planned on it. It was cheesy and overrated. Love was just a weakness to Max. He used love against people to manipulate them, he never wanted to experience the feeling himself. But he was, and he realized now that you can't control it. He blushed harder. "Umm, Nikki I need to use the bathroom!", he said quickly. Nikki looked at him, "Okay then, go.".Max jumped up and ran. He didn't actually have to use the bathroom, that was just the best excuse he could come up with.
He ran into the mess hall, which he was sure would be empty. He sat down at a empty table and banged his head on the table. He winced in pain. "Max, what are you doing?". Max looked up. It was Neil. Max grunted. "Leave me alone, idiot.". Neil sighed. "Max I'm sorry about what I did, I was being selfish and-". Max held up his hand, and Neil stopped. Max sighed. "Just leave me alone, I don't need an apology.". "So you forgive me?". Max glared at him. "No.". Neil sighed. He analyzed Max's face, like he was a doctor coming up with a diagnosis. "You have a crush don't you?". Max blushed. "NO!". Neil rolled his eyes. "Yes you do, blushing face, dreamy eyes, you are in love!". Max glared at him, he was sounding like some cheesy poet.
Max sighed. "If I did have one, I wouldn't tell you.", he said coldly. Neil sighed. "In sorry, okay? I'll do anything! I'll help you get out of Nikki's friendzone!". Max felt his face get hot. "HOW DID YOU KNOW IT WAS HER!?!", he yelled. Neil looked scared. "No offense, but it's kinda obvious.". Max glared at him. "Fine, I like her. It's none of your business.". "So can I help you?". Max sighed. "You only want to help so I'll forgive you.". Neil looked sad. "I want to see you happy, you deserve it. You don't have to forgive me, I know what I did was terrible.". Max stared at him, then sighed. "Fine, you can help.". Neil smiled. "Okay, but we'll need some help.".