Chapter 14 -W. & S.

As the girl laughed, confusion washed over Mayu like a tidal wave.

"You were a witch just now, and-"

Suddenly, the girl stopped laughing. The abruptness of this cut Mayu off.

"Witch?" The girl said with such a serious look on her face and an intensity in her voice it made Mayu uncomfortable. "Witch?! WITCH?! I am NOT a witch, I am SHAMAN, we're much more TALENTED than witches. And frankly, much more BEAUTIFUL too!" She kind of screeched the end out.

"U-Umm, sorry... I-" Mayu stuttered.

The girl burst out laughing.

"I'm just messing with ya!"

Mayu was stunned.

'Wow,' she thought. 'Her beautiful look certainly doesn't match her character!'

"What was that?" The girl asked, looking Mayu dead in the eye.

'Sh!t... Can she read minds?' Mayu thought alarmed.

All this time, Chidum had just been quietly watching, but Klex began growling at the newcomer and forced him to get involved.

"Calm down, girl." He told the Dirge wolf, stroking her side.

"Oh, a Dirge wolf," said the newcomer with a bright smile. "There are not many left." She didn't seem scared of Klex at all.

Chidum finally addressed the girl.

"I do not mean to sound rude, but what is your purpose for being here?"

The girl kept her smile up, lowered her walking stick closer to the ship, jumped off and held her hand out, the stick gliding to her hand and transforming into a staff of creamy wood with the top end forming two hands clasped together.

"It's truly an honor to meet Turen's son."

For a second, her expression completely changed. Instead of showing mischievousness and smirk, her eyes shone wonder and respect.

Chidum was silent, and so was Mayu. Did the girl know Chidum's father? Finally, Mayu spoke.

"Who are you?"

The girl turned to Mayu, her expression quickly reverting back into a grin and said:

"The name's Sunibe, Sunibe Dagara."

She pronounced her name with what Mayu thought was a Spanish accent.

Soo-nee-beh Daa-gaa-ra.

"Wait," spoke Mayu, turning to Chidum. "Isn't Dagara a tribe in West Africa?"

The girl's brow furrowed in confusion.

"Africa?"

"It is," he replied. "But I do not think that it is the same here."

Sunibe started laughing while she spoke, her long chestnut hair seemingly giggling along with her, flowing in the wind.

"So it's true, you are from Earth!"

Mayu didn't know what to say. Luckily, she didn't have to.

"We are." Chidum replied. "What is your purpose for being here?"

Sunibe stopped laughing and looked Chidum straight in the eyes, while taking his hands in hers. For a young girl much shorter than him, she had presence. Chidum felt her intensity as she spoke the next words. Even Mayu felt it, and it wasn't being directed at her.

"Isn't it obvious? I've come for you."

"Did..." Chidum hesitated. "Has my father sent you?"

Mayu could tell that he was trying to stay cool and composed, but couldn't help but let a little emotion through when he asked about his dad. What did his dad mean to him, anyways? Sure, he let his emotions slip, but what was he thinking? She couldn't read him at all.