Chapter 18: Unfortunate Demise

Angel rushes into the doorway of Mordecai's room. She pushes her paws up against the door and opens it. Mordecai turns his head in a sudden panic.

      "Is everything okay?" He asks, with his eyes widening in surprise.

      "Your not going to like this...are you sure you're okay with hearing this?"

      Mordecai stares blankly at his cousin. Whatever did she mean by that? Then a gut reching feeling took over his body. Is it Zip and them? My parents?
      Angel takes a deep breath then sits down. She look him in the eyes then speaks,

      "Wolgon City was attacked...there are survivors, thankfully. However, some didn't make it."

      Mordecai stands there quietly, slowly blinking in response, "What else...?"

      "The Wolgon City Elite leader, Sala, sadly didn't make it. It was a clear attack on anyone who was trying to look into DarkMoon's plans. So, they attacked them with a horde of RazorFang." She calmly answers back.

      There is nothing but silence in the room. The white clock on the wall next to Mordecai's bed is one of the only sounds to be heard. Then a silent clattering of paws is heard entering the room. It was as close to as tip-toeing ever was.
      Dust enters the room with a slight frown and looks up at Mordecai.
      Mordecai closes his eyes for a moment then walks past Angel. In a mere whisper he says "They really want to, don't they? They want to destroy everything I love and care about. Why me..why?"
      Angel slowly turns her head towards him. Her ears drop and she looks to the ground. "I don't want to think as if that's true but..." She stops and watches her cousin make his way down the stairs. Mordecai's ears are also dropped and his wings practically hanging down from the sides of his body.

***

      "Is he alright? Angel Bear, you should check on him" Queen Star insists with a worried frown upon her face. "I don't think he needs anyone right now. He just needs alone time. That's all" Angel answers looking away from her mother. I should have never said a word about it to him! I'm the absolute worst family member ever.
      Her heart felt heavy and guilt weighed her mind. This was first time she had ever truly talked and saw her cousin in years and this was how she ruined his life. What am I going to do now? Sit in my own pity?
      Dust slowly makes his way around the corner, poking his head out. "Hey, is he going to be okay?" He asks, tilting his head in concern.
      Angel looks up at him and sighs. She walks up to the ferret and slowly shakes her head. She heads out the door with a worried mother looking ahead.

***

      Dust makes his way towards the exit of the castle. His tiny paws carry him to the sight of the Moonlight Prince. He slowly pads towards him. Dust reaches Mordecai and curles up against his larger paws. He hears a sniffle and glances upwards.
Mordecai's face completely changes from sad to a mixture of anger and fear. He glares, clenches his teeth, and a whole new series of tears form in his eyes. He begins to shake then breaks down.
      Dust jumps and places his paws on his leg. "I know, I know. I'm here. This world sucks and stuff..." he says quickly, trying to comfort Mordecai. Man this sucks...if only of that messed up group didn't exist! Who are they to target someone like this? Dust sighs with a quite huff of annoyance.
      "I-I'm sorry. I just don't know what to do right now. I'm angry and scared. They really want to hurt me don't they?" Mordecai says between quiet sobs. "I think I should just...go home and hide or something. Never mind I sound pathetic don't I?"
Dust takes a deep breath. He then looks up at the teary eyes of Mordecai. "No you aren't. When I had left my old home I was filled with excitement and determination. After awhile I grew desperate and lonely." He pauses taking another deep breath then continues "If you and the others were wondering about this then, yes. Yes, I am from the world of humans. I got caught up in some weird portal from who knows where. Then I ended up in your world with this insane amount of cliche material that can be written and magic. That's not really the point. The point is don't give up. That DarkMoon can go choke on an apple while they're at it, okay?" He finishes.
Mordecai looks down at him and nearly chokes on his tears with laughter. "Thanks. I needed that. Why didn't you tell anyone before? We were all wondering"
      The ferret cracks a smile "No problems. Just don't go all crazy with the thirst of vengeance...well you might. I have to apologize somehow...I didn't want anyone to know. It seemed really questionable at the time" he says with a small laugh.
      Dust then hesitants for a moment and looks up at the sky. Wait...what the?
      A sudden boom of thunder and several fashes of lightning fill the sky. Both the ferret and Prince look around in confusion. Then Dust could not believe his eyes. A sudden flash of purple struck his eyes and he collapses to the ground. With the last of his strength and vision he sees a group of quick footed oddly colored animals. They had Mordecai chained in an odd pair of shackles. He was clearly knocked out and quickly dragged through a portal that closely resembled the one Dust had jumped through that year ago. Great...time to get the others. After I unwillingly black out that is.
      With that Dust closes his eyes, blacking out.

***

      Dust slowly opens his eyes to the sight of a startled Angel. He groans and slowly arises to all fours.
      "What happened! Where's Mordecai? There was thunder and lightning and...what HAPPENED!" she yells in a panicked frenzy.
      Astral peeks her head from under Angel's wing. "Were you flashed or something? Your eyes look so watery and tired" the fruit bat asks in concern. She then uses her back claws and climbs up the Starlight Princess's body. She plops herself up on to Angel's head, eyeing him.
      "A-matter-a-fact I was. DARKMOON CAME AND TOOK HIM TO HIS APPARENT DOOM!" Dust quickly hollars in a panic. "We need to get help as fast as possible. I saw him some type of shackles and a portal. They'll probably pull him apart or drain his powers or something! Worse thing they could do is kill him. They're probably there now-" Astal jumps on top of the ferret, leaving him to scream and stop his insane rant. "We get it! Okay?" Astral blurts out in a sudden rage. "We gotta go get him from their evil messed up clutches."
      Angel sighs and bolts back into the castle. Astral looks back towards Dust after watching her leave. "So...this is a complete disaster" He whispers quietly. Astral rolls her eyes, "I know. Evil is among us! We better hit the peddle."
      Dust nods and makes his way back to the castle. He had only on thing on his mind and that was saving his friend. I'm coming don't worry!