Just a Joke

This is a short one, just thought I'd update ❤️❤️

------

Rye's POV:

For a long time now, there's been this thing going around. It's just 3 words; Mikey can't sing.

It's a joke of course, of course we don't really mean it. Me and the other boys joke around a lot, everyone knows that. We say this all the time, and just laugh, because it's funny. Mikey thinks its funny too, he laughs along with us. Even the fans have started repeating it after us. There's never a day that goes by without us, or someone else, bringing up the joke and laughing.

But recently we've added other things to it. In vlogs, maybe we'll tell the joke, then say; "We still don't know why he's in the band" or "Why's he here??" And now he just goes silent.

That just happened, we vlogged, made THE joke and then laughed. And again, Mikey stayed silent. After we'd shut the camera down, he retreated to his room. I found it strange, and oddly; I was angry.

Why did he no longer laugh? Why was he taking it so seriously? After all, it was just a joke.

When I reached his room, I knocked on the door. Starting to get frustrated because there was no answer, I called his name calmly a couple times, before really getting angry and exploding.

"Why are you not finding it funny Mikey??? It's just a joke for entertainment, for the fans!!! And you can't just play along??? Why?? IT'S JUST A JOKE FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!"

"BUT IT'S NOT RYE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Those four words changed everything.

"W-what do you mean?" I asked quietly, shocked. He didn't reply. I couldn't wait any longer. With a grunt of effort, I pushed on the door with all my strength slamming it into the wall. The sight that my eyes laid on was enough to tear my heart into shreds.

He looked so broken, desperately sucking breaths in between gulping and hiccuping sobs, violent trembling convulsing his entire body, and sounds coming from his throat that didn't even sound human. I stood there in shock for a few heartbeats, not knowing what to do.

When I finally came to, I slowly shuffled to his side, wrapping my arms around his shaking body, whispering words of comfort. He curled up into my side, pressing into me. I rubbed his back and stroked his hair, while taking in everything. His sunken in eyes, his suddenly frail body.

When he had finally calmed down enough to breathe properly, I whispered; "I'm sorry."

"We're all so sorry Mikey, we didn't realize. You should have told us sooner." Everything rushed out in one breath, and I felt him grip my shirt tightly.

"I know you all meant it as a joke Rye." He whispered. "But... even if it was a joke, it still hurt."

"I know." I murmured. "I'm so sorry." We didn't realize the door had opened. When I finally raised my eyes, I saw the rest of the boys and Alex, standing there with sad and guilty looks. They all walked over and I gently pulled away from Mikey, so that they could whisper apologies and let him know that he was loved and accepted.

"It won't ever happen again. We promise."

******

For the next oneshot, I think I want to change it up a bit. Rye as the vulnerable one?? Any ideas?? I'll be glad to write them ❤️ I'm always open for requests if you have one.

Also, thank you to: Ella23mono , xcobbanxfowlerx, Broken0pices, and Esioule for voting so far❤️ Every time I post a new oneshot, I'll always make sure to shout out anyone ewho voted for the previous one, so remember to always vote!!

Have a good day everyone❤️❤️

-rtandhrvyareamazing