I

ENTRY 3.I: JIMIN
December 15, 2008: 13:37
Busan, South Korea
Even while the sun sat hidden behind the clouds, the park was aglow thanks to the snow-covered ground. The couple and their two sons were always seen here laughing and playing while they attempted to waste every possible moment together. They came whenever possible, and they were never unhappy or alone. Everyone that saw them in the park every day knew it; they were an inseparable family.

Jimin knew it, too, because this happy family was his own. Though getting older was starting to change him, he always did his best to try to remain the cheerful son that his parents and his little brother adored.

That day, the children in the park had started a playful snowball fight in the grass. None of them could stop laughing and neither could the adults and other park-goers watching around them. Jimin looked around him, smiling and laughing along with the people that he recognized as frequent park visitors like himself, and recognizing him, they would almost always smile and laugh right back. He would look around as he stocked up on snowballs and watch the fight go down until he himself was hit from afar with another ball, in which case he would turn around and throw one of his own right back in the direction that it came from. Multitudes of kids had joined in, most of them being those that recognized Jimin and his brother from their visits, but their joyousness had even convinced a few new kids to join in, too.

This was all what was normal for the Park family. Their contagious happiness spreading all over the park was nothing but a normal part of their frequent outings, and for the longest time, it never seemed like it was going to change.

Once the fight had died down a bit, the family continued walking on the path through the groves of snow-white trees. The mother and her youngest son walked hand-in-hand peacefully while the father comforted Jimin with his arm around his shoulder as they walked on, and he'd never minded anything like this. He had been raised all his life in a household filled with love and happiness, so much so that he'd never known anything different. At that point in his life, he'd come to believe that he would never know anything different.

But then that's when things started to change.

As he continued walking with his family through the park, the serenity and peacefulness of the environment around him suddenly faded from him, creating an odd sense of uneasiness that he'd never felt before. Jimin's happiness seemed to disappear in the blink of an eye, and he had no idea why. He tried hard to regain the happiness that he had no more than thirty seconds ago just as his parents always told him to whenever he felt like it was fading, paying close attention to the snow-covered landscape surrounding him and trying to rediscover its beauty, but to his surprise, none of his efforts worked. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't manage to bring his smile back to him.

Something wasn't right, and he was sure of it.

He walked slowly out of his father's grasp and in front of his family, everything around him having seemed to suddenly fall completely silent. They said nothing as he walked forward in front of them, and he was glad that they didn't. He didn't want them to know about what he was feeling. Then after a few steps, he stopped in his tracks, his body tense and shaking lightly and his hands clenched inside of the pockets of his jacket. He stood still like that for a while, unsure of what to do. Turning back to gaze at his family, he discovered that they were a good few meters away from where he was. They stood there just as—if not more—still as he was. To him, it looked like they hadn't moved at all since he walked out from under his father's arm. His arm actually was still positioned in a way that made it look like it was still around Jimin's shoulder. They were completely frozen.

Panicked, Jimin looked around more, walking through the snow to try to find at least one person who he could go to for assistance, but all he came to wherever he walked were just more frozen people. He had to have been dreaming, he told himself. What else would be able to explain why nothing around him was moving? None of this could be real.

He was alone, he realized. There was nothing that walking around would do for him except make him even more terrified than he already was.

Jimin's shaking had intensified throughout that time, a mix of both fear and some odd uneasiness that was barely describable. He could only come to recall one other time when his happiness had faded so suddenly from him, and that was the last time he got sick. Even then, though, his happiness' absence was only temporary. Something about this time was different to him. He definitely wasn't sick; he didn't feel sick at all. Then, he realized, he was one hundred percent certain that he wasn't sick.

He was in pain.

He couldn't think of why he didn't realize it before. It had faded in so inconspicuously that he didn't realize he was in pain until it had become excruciating, so excruciating in fact that he could barely concentrate enough to be able to tell where it was coming from.

Jimin fell to his knees in an instant, grasping the ground tight and bringing up dirt that rested deep underneath the snow. It was happening to him now, too, just as it happened with the rest of us. He screamed repeatedly as the pain surged on, a little glad that no one around him could see what was happening. This pain was something different to him. He'd known nothing but happiness his entire life thanks to his parents. That's all he was ever told Busan was. That's all he was ever told the world around him was; happiness, joy, and beauty. That's all what his family told him.

But now, he realized that his family had done nothing but lie to him his entire life. If the world was all happiness, then why was he in such pain? What was it for?

"What is happening to me?"

The only colors that he could see on the ground whenever he unclenched and opened his eyes were white and red. He saw blood on the snow around him, and eventually, it came down to stain his frigid hands, covering them with the warm liquid. It couldn't have been anyone else's blood but his own. Objects like flower petals swirled above him in the breeze, shining the brightest shade of white he'd ever seen and sometimes stained with some of the same red that now rested on his hands. His vision unclear, he couldn't tell exactly what these airborne objects were. As the pain finally started to slowly falter and die away, he was able to feel where the blood was coming from. It was flowing down his back underneath his jacket and shirt. For a while, he thought it was sweat, but when he reached one of his non-blood stained fingers slightly underneath his jacket to feel it out of curiosity, it came out red.

Both the pain and the blood was coming from his back.

But why was there blood?

Looking back up again at the flower petal-like objects above him, he could tell now what they were. They weren't flower petals at all.

They were blood-stained feathers.

He knew what happened now.

Jimin brought one of his newly-formed wings in front of him. He could barely see it because of both the white environment and the bright glow that they gave off. They blended almost perfectly in with what was around him. He laid down in its fibers, their warmth making the cold inside of him suddenly disappear. Then, he began crying, his tears falling onto the cloud-like surface of his wings.

He'd been lied to his entire life. Living wasn't at all happy and joyful like he thought, but painful and overwhelming like he'd just experienced. The sense had been knocked into his head in an instant.

The impossible was possible.

Jimin's entire life was nothing but a lie.