Chapter Eighteen - The New York Fall.

~Charlotte~

I finally got to the top of the roof when Sherlock stood near the edge. "Glad you got here in time. Come here quickly." He said. I do as I was told and he pointed down to the ground. "You need to listen to me. Whatever you do don't interrupt me. You need to listen carefully otherwise it's too late." I nodded and he began to explain.

"Look down. Can you see the giant airbag? You will jump and fall into the airbag. After you will be applied make up to make it look like you are dead. Then you will be put on a hospital trolley and wheeled around the edge of the great big truck so that Riley can see you. However the truck is so long that it hides the airbag and there are security guards that will stop Riley from crossing the perimeter and getting to you. They have made it look as though road works are going on. Do this and you will be free from him. Do you understand?"

He wants me to jump off a building?! Then I suddenly realized, this is how he faked his death. That's how he did it.

He took my phone and dialed a number.

I looked over the edge and sighed. It was a huge drop. Sherlock handed me the office and I brought it to my ear.

"Charlotte?! Where are you? I thought you'd be waiting outside for me?!"

Sherlock nodded as he put his hands in his pockets and watched me. I stepped up into the edge and took a deep breath. My legs were shaking and I really thought I would collapse.

"Walk round the other side of the building, were the road works are."

"Yeah, I can't see you there are security guards all over this place."

"Look up." I saw him look up but I couldn't make or his expression but I could imagine from what he said next.

"Charlotte! I'm not playing a have get the hell down here!"

"I can't."

"What do you mean 'you can't' get down here. I'm not even kidding. " He sounded angrier by the second.

Sherlock gave me his phone which had something I was supposed to say on it.

"I can't do it. I love you and have but I can't live knowing one of you is going to be hurt. It's all my fault. To end this I need to end me."

"Charlotte! Stop it. Get down here. About 5 minutes ago you was ripping my clothes off and now you device your suicidal?!" He literally screamed down the phone.

"Don't try and stop me. Please. Is for the best and I know what I did earlier was misleading but I had to stall you for time didn't I? I couldn't have you stopping me."

"Charlotte. Don't be stupid. For goodness sake! If you don't get down to me- please we'll talk about it!" He was beginning to sound desperate.

"No, I'm sorry." I said. I gave the phone back to Sherlock and looked down. I had to. Any second now.

I took a deep breath and leaned forward. I lost my balance and I panicked. I suddenly fell off the edge without warning. I held my breath to stop myself from screaming. I landed with a thud and darkness closed in around me. I was suddenly hauled up and I was brought back. People prodded at my face and I realized that the darkness that surrounded me was only the airbag folding in on itself from my impact I caused.

I jumped on the hospital trolley and shut my eyes as they put a blanket over me. I heard screaming and shouting. I couldn't make out what though.

I was taken round the back to where Sherlock met me in a taxi. I got inside and realized I didn't have my luggage. "Sherlock my suitcase!" I said quickly. He grabbed my arm and said, "Already taken care of. We've got a plane to catch."

"But Mycroft and the CIA?" I said feeling bad that Mycroft had gone all that way.

"Trust me. He'll make other plans." Sherlock smirked.

"Okay." I answered.

I still had a rush from the adrenaline of the fall. I felt like is just been plummeting towards my death but I'm alive.