Chapter I: The Beginning

Avery's POV

    I grabbed my backpack and shoved a flashlight and a small box of pictures in it.

Throwing on my green hoodie quickly, I opened the window and crawled onto the narrow windowsill, perching there like a bird. I have to act fast or dad will catch me. I opened my window and looked down. "So high up..." I whispered. I am on the third floor of this madhouse, this cage, this awful prison of hopes and dreams. I'm nervous, though I've done this before. I've already jumped, caught the tree branch, jumped off and ran. 

This time, though, I wasn't going just into the forest. I was going to Mount Ebbot, the place where Frisk told me to meet them in their letter. "AVERY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I heard my dad scream I looked back and saw my dad standing at the bed holding a bottle of beer-- if I have to guess he's probably drunk. Again. I jumped off the windowsill without thinking, but good thing I had planned this out, because I landed on a branch. "AVERY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING COME BACK HERE!" my dad shouted. 

I didn't look back, just off towards the mountain, and shouted as I went, "I HATE BEING ABUSED! I HATE BEING BULLIED! JUST LET ME GO DAD, YOU COULDN'T CATCH UP TO ME IF YOU TRIED AND YOU'RE DRUNK! MAYBE YOU SHOULD'VE GOTTEN A BOOK OR TWO ON PARENTING BEFORE YOU THOUGHT OF BRINGING ME INTO THIS WORLD!" I ran towards a path in the woods, and followed it. As I kept going up, I slowed to a walk once I knew I hadn't been followed and stopped. I pulled out the crumpled up letter from my pocket and read it again. In neat print, Frisk had wrote,

    Avery,

             You and I both know we've been bullied a lot. We both didn't like life on the surface, either. I've decided. I'm going to live under Mountain Ebbot with the monsters--- if I can find a way in. You know that old cave? The teachers lied, it's stable. I'll be waiting there. Hey, just a thought, but, do you want to come with me? Just jump down, it'll be fine. You'll meet a talking flower. Don't trust the monsters. Just find a town called Snowdin. If you get followed by something, run. -Frisk

    I was a little confused. How did Frisk know I'd survive the fall? The talking flower? Followed? Snowdin? I don't know how they had guessed-- or knew about that. I walked over to the cave's opening and pulled out my flashlight. A gaping hole sat in front of me, like a huge mouth waiting to swallow up yet another human. 

I remember the stories about the other kids who got lost here and didn't come back. One had a soul of Bravery. They had stood up for weak kids like us at school. Bravery always had a bandana with abs drawn on it with them. One had a soul of Justice. They, with Bravery, always stuck up for the other kids. Justice had a badge- a sheriff's badge they wore around the school, calling out the bullies. Another kid had a soul of Kindness. They were the kind of kid who would help you up from a trip and ask if you were okay, even if you were a total stranger! Yet another kid had a soul of Patience. They were young, younger than me, and always had a small ribbon in their hair. And another kid had a soul of Integrity. This kid really REALLY loved to dance. They even wore a tutu and ballet shoes around the school. They were on the school's dance team. One other kid had a soul of Perseverance like me. They got bullied too. They really liked taking notes, and their glasses were always fogged up- it made their hidden eyes look mysterious. One kid, who fell before the rest of them, was named Chara. They hated humanity. Kind of like Frisk and I, I guess.

    I looked into the hole and jumped. Falling, falling, for what seemed like forever. Then it all came to a stop. I waited for some sort of pain, but when I opened my eyes, I was perfectly intact and laying on a thick bed of golden flowers that had broken my fall. I found a stick nearby, but I didn't really need it. I looked around and eventually found my flashlight. It wasn't working. I actually have excellent night vision, I had just brought it for Frisk.