Chapter XVI: Back home

Avery's POV

Sitting quietly on a bench outside my house, I watched the sunrise. A slow golden sphere on the horizon, every day, without failure, comes and lights up this part of Earth because of our planet's rotation. "Hey." said a voice behind me. "Yeah?" I responded. "It's been almost two months." It was Sans.

 He stepped around the bench and sat next to me. "What about it?" I asked, carefree. The sun warmed my face with its glow. "So, you said that you could stay with us for about two months. 

You're gonna be leaving soon." Sans said matter-of-factly. "I hate it when you remind me of things I've said," I reply ruefully. "Well, you should start packing and saying your goodbyes, right?" Sans suggested. I sighed heavily. "I hate saying goodbye. To me, that's like saying, 'I'll see you again on the other side when we're both dead and gone.'" I replied, my voice choking in my throat. Sans looked at me cautiously. "The last thing you said to someone before they died was goodbye," he said understandingly. I nodded. Faith.

"Well, what about that boy? Jacob, if I'm correct. He seems to have gotten attached to you." Sans said casually. "Oh, yeah. I introduced him to the whole timelines and alternate universes thing. Keep an eye on him for me, okay? He's got his magic back too, and he's still learning how to use it. Papyrus has my number, so if anything goes awry, just give me a call." I said. We sat there in silence for a while.

"Sans, I hate the fact everyone here is attached to me. I'm not supposed to exist! It's supposed to be Frisk at the center of it all. Chara and Asriel aren't supposed to be alive, or at least in their original forms. 

Even in some of the happy endings where Asriel or Chara or both come back in some of the AUs, they're still unaware of a fourth entity existing, it's supposed to be the three of them, Frisk, Chara, and Asriel, but there's a problem- me. If I'm going to be completely honest with you..? I've considered ending my existence. Letting this timeline go on just the way it is, without me. The way it should in an ultimate positive ending." I said flatly, staring into the distance straight ahead.

"If I'm going to be completely honest with you?" Sans trailed off. I looked over at him. He had a dark look on his face and was staring me directly in the eyes. "Don't. Ever. Try. That." he said darkly. Scary... is this what the genocide route is like? I thought, looking slightly over his shoulder. 

I smiled weakly. "Who are you to try and stop me? I'm going to be in a realm that you can't access for the potentially the rest of my life, How will you stop me then?" I asked softly. "Ink can watch you and enter the realm of Chaos," Sans answered. "He's preoccupied with some game he's designed. Besides, he's emotionless. Those vials he has? These provide him with the ability to feel. He doesn't really care about anyone unless the vials are in action to provide him with emotion." I said coldly.

"Geez. You're one of the most responsible people I know, and yet you can't be trusted to look after yourself." Jacob said from behind me. I whirled around in instinct and slapped him before I realized it was him. "Hm. Pain. Fascinating subject." Jacob said consideringly. "Sorry, I didn't know it was you. Also, stop reminiscing on pain and suffering. 

I'm deeply regretting ever bringing you to Underfell." I said ruefully. "You brought boy scout to Underfell? How'd he take it?" Frisk asked mockingly. "Show some respect to your elders," Jacob said scornfully. "Sorry, old man," Frisk said. "And I'm regretting ever taking you to any of the AUs where I was sassy," I said to Frisk, shaking my head. "Say, how about I bring you to Underfresh, Frisk? You can learn how totally radical kindness is, brah." I said sarcastically.

"Ooh! Here's a question. If you had those letter glasses, what would they say?" Frisk asked. Send help, I thought. "Sass," I said thoughtfully, a hint of amusement in my voice. "Lazy," Sans said. "Human person," Jacob said. "Wow, how original," I said, looking over my shoulder at Jacob. He poked my nose. "Did you just boop my nose?!" I asked, infuriated. "Yes," Jacob said. "Let's play football.