Chapter XIV: Memories

Akira's POV

I looked over at Akiko. "Everything's unpacked." "Good." I said decidedly, but my mind was wandering again. I walked up a few flights of stairs, turned at least 12 corners, and opened a door that said "Keep Out" in neat cursive. There was dark chocolate wood finish on the eggshell colored walls, and the same type of wood in the flooring. I inhaled, smelling the comforting scent of pencil shavings, paper, watercolors, paint, and in general, art supplies. I stepped around a few stacks of boxes and sat at my drawing desk, which had a veil of golden light draped over it from the sunset filtering in from the window across the room. I felt comforted by the warm sunshine, sat down in my comfortable chair, opened one of the boxes next to the desk, and grabbed a sketchbook. One of the pages fell out onto the floor. I picked it up and flipped it over, inhaling sharply.

It was a sketch of six kids, probably about no older than 12 in the sketch, climbing on or sitting on a huge winter berī tree, all of them smiling and some mid-laugh. I can still hear their laughing now, as the memory surfaces through my void of troubled thoughts.They were all smiling, the blazing sun setting behind them and smiles on their faces, their legs dangling off the branch they were sitting on, or leaning against the tree, one of them sprawled carelessly on the grass. One of the kids, probably my closest friend out of all of them, smiled enthusiastically as she had told me, "We're going to make eternal peace and freedom for all, Akira, together as a family! We'll create a whole world!" She said to me as she extended her hand to me to take. I had gripped her hand tightly, and smiled back. "Well, if you find a way to make this realm, don't leave me behind."

I should probably go and bring them more flowers. I teleport to a mountain high above the ground on the edge of a cliff. Sprays of flowery ivy hang off the edge, and the view is fantastic from up here. You can see a huge beautiful forest untouched, and the sea. "Ha...good times..." I whisper as a tear rolls down my face. "...Why..why..does all this have to happen, we could've done this together..together as a family like you all said..." I said quietly as more tears roll down my emotionless face. I placed multi-colored flowers down before six graves. "It's a beautiful day today." I said looking at the graves on this formidable cliff. "Our dreams have came true, I have created a place of freedom and peace...so why can't I feel at peace or happy about it..." I said softly wiping the tears off my face, but even though I'm crying, I don't feel anything. The hanging blossoms that grow next to this beautiful cliff start falling down. The wind has picked up and blown the blossoms over to the graves flying over them like falling stars. "Indeed, a beautiful place indeed." I said. Closing my eyes and listening to the wind in my ears, the rustling of the fresh green grass, inhaling the aroma of cherry blossoms. "Why can't I die?"

'Sometimes the best Memories are Sad because you know they will Never happen again.'

Avery's POV

I changed into the uniform, which was comfortably fit. Not snug, but not ridiculously loose either. Walking outside, I took the time to walk on the sidewalks of each road, staring at the flowers or grass the bordered them. I took my time arriving at school, going slowly so Frisk, Asriel, or Chara wouldn't see me. Class E5, right? 3rd floor. I smiled, letting the sun warm my face. It was a beautiful day outside today. I heard a few birds twittering softly as they flitted from tree to tree. "Birds are singing... flowers are blooming..." I whispered the last part, remembering what Sans had said when he confronted Frisk. "On days like these, kids like me are better off dead." I finished woefully, walking towards the entrance of the school and plastering a smile on my face to make it seem like I'm happy.

I looked up as I walked inside. Wow. Nice school you got here, Mom. I walked over to the directory board in the middle of the courtyard. Okay, taking the staircase down the hallway on the second left should get me to the third floor. Then turn right and it's the fourth class down the hall on the left. I walked into the second building, went all the way down the hall and turned left, took the staircase, and ended up on the "E" floor.