11: Back To Work

"Good morning YN!" Si-oon greeted you. "Good morning, Dr. Kim!"

"Prep Min Jee for euthanization, YN." Min-Ah's gravelly morning voice rumbled behind you as she sipped on coffee. She certainly wasn't a morning person.

"What?" You stopped abruptly, causing her to run into you.

Searing coffee splashed all down your back.

"Fuck, YN, seriously? Well, now it's delayed ten minutes while I go make the crappy staff room coffee and you put the replacement scrubs on. Prep Min Jee for euthanization. Be ready in TWENTY now." She scoffed and pushed past you.

"...Are you okay, YN?" Si-oon asked in her high-pitched voice. "Min Jee is so sweet... and that probably hurt..."

"I'm fine..." You whispered and rushed away as well.

But you weren't really fine. Euthanizing animals was the hardest part of the job; but someone did have to do it. And everyone knew Min Jee was going to come for it soon enough.

And your back did hurt a lot; it just wasn't as important right now.

Before you went to change, you went into the dog room and went straight to Min Jee.

She looked sick. Her tail barely wiggled as you walked up to her kennel. Thin, patchy hair and droopy eyes.

"What's wrong, Min Jee? What happened? Did the cancer come back?" You asked, as if she could answer back. Gently, you stroked her paw, eyes welling with tears. Of course Min Jee would have to be put down on the day you come into work.

Standing back up, you wiped your eyes and went to go change.

Quickly, you swapped your paw print scrubs for plain, large green scrubs. Before you pulled the shirt on, you glanced at your back; red from the hot liquid. It could have been worse, you supposed. You could have gotten your face burned.

"Maybe if I had a messed up face, then people would leave me alone." You laughed wickedly.

Quickly, you finished getting dressed and then you continued back to the dog room. Then, the process to get Min Jee prepped began.

It was somber and you weren't looking forward to the time where her owners were going to come in and say good bye.

But when you walked over to the kennel, you noticed Min Jee sleeping.

"Min Jee..." You tapped her paws and then opened the kennel. "I mean, it's probably better you're asleep, I guess."

You went to lift her up when you notice something critical. No chest movement.

"You cheeky old girl." You gave one small chuckle. "You chose when to go, huh? I suppose we're similar like that. We do things on our own terms."

You sat down and pet the corpse for a minute, happy that you wouldn't have to go through the excruciating process of putting down the dog.

"Haven't you started ye-- Oh. Not necessary?" Min-Ah came in, spinning her hair into a bun.

"No." You stood up. "Who will notify?"

Please don't say me.

Min-Ah looked at you briefly, then at the corpse.

"Si-oon will." She said. "I know you don't like to interact with the families. And we need someone with a little more... finesse."

"...Thanks..." You mentioned. "I'll take care of the cat room."