19: Meet & Greet

"I hate you."

"I hate me too."

Those words were the first thing uttered between you and Sangwoo in a long, long time. This time, however, there was thick glass between you both and many guards to watch over you.

"You're not going to make me feel bad for you just because you're acting pitiful." Your eyes were glued to the floor, urging your stomach not to be sick again.

"I'm not trying to." His voice was listless. Empty. "It's just the truth."

"You've read my letters?"

"Yes."

"Even the last one I left here?"

"Yes."

"Good."

There was a long, awkward pause. That was technically all you had wanted to verify.

Well, almost.

After another few minutes, you spoke again.

"Why did you care that I left last time?"

"Who said I cared?" The words were pointed themselves, but the tone was not.

"Your actions did."

"You were upset. I didn't know what had upset you."

"You. Stupid bastard." The insult was mumbled.

"I didn't do anything."

"You ruined my whole fucking life." Your eyes burned with intensity as you raised them to meet his. "And don't you ever deny it."

He was briefly startled.

"Yeah... That..." His own eyes averted. "I wasn't trying to... I was..."

"I don't care." You asserted. Although there was a sick part of you who wanted to hear out his excuses.

"Okay." He stopped and you sat in another long, blisteringly awkward silence.

You examined him. He was skinnier now-- a byproduct of his placement you assumed. The bags around his eyes were darker-- another byproduct.

But he was still very striking in his own way, if not just with a touch of gaunt now.

"Is work any better?" He inquired quietly.

"Why would you care?" Venom was spit from your mouth.

"You always did love animals. But you said you hate your job. So it must be the people." He deduced.

"How do you know I work with animals?" Your eyes narrowed.

Sangwoo gestured at your paw print scrubs.

"Oh."

"So..."

"Not really."

"I'm sad to hear that."

"Don't lie."

"I'm not."

Another long pause.

"Are you sleeping any better?" He tried again.

"No."

"I can't sleep either."

"Good."

A disgustingly long silence settled as you shut down his attempts at conversation. He realized this wasn't going to go anywhere, but he enjoyed simply being in your presence.

"Hey, YN..."

"What?"

"You can hold me hostage if you want."

You looked at him deeply and leaned forward, almost jarred by the statement given by the ghastly young man.

"What do you mean?"

"It's only fair." He explained. "I did it to you. I shouldn't have and I'm sorry. So now, if you feel better doing it to me, that's okay. If you only wanted to send me angry letters for the rest of my time here, that would be okay. Not that you need my permission. It's just my opinion."

"Oh..."

"Yeah."

You sat back to digest what was just said. This wasn't the Sangwoo you knew. This wasn't the abuser and charmer that you were used to.

"Why now?" You asked carefully.

"Why now what?"

"Why are you acting like this now? We could have been friends. We could have never been in this position." Your eyes got hot and bleary and you desperately tried not to cry.

Sangwoo put a hand to the glass and crinkled his forehead.

"I was sick, YN. I see that now. I was sick and I'm still sick and I'm always going to be sick. But I'm getting help and I'm sorry that it had to be here after I hurt you. I don't want to hurt you anymore. I never wanted to hurt you. I only wanted to protect you."

You hung up the phone and you walked away. That was enough.