20

Finals were coming up soon and as it neared, we already had a few 2am study dates and visits at the library during lunch.

Although you were having a bit of trouble in one of your subjects.

As Felix, Changbin, Chan, Jeongin and I were walking along the hallway, I saw that you, Seungmin, Hyunjin, Minho and Woojin were heading our direction as well.

Right when you passed by, I stopped you, grabbing you by the arm to ask if you wanted to go on a study date for that subject you were struggling with but when you suddenly flinched at the contact my eyes went wide and I immediately let go.

"Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah Han Jisung! 100% fine!" You mutter too quickly before walking away.

'The lower my grades, the worse she gets. I remember back in grade school my quizzes were low and it pulled my rank down and tadah! I was grounded for a whole summer... that plus... yeah'

One of your old stories struck my mind as I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling as I thought of you.

"Your beatings are getting worse again, aren't they?"

I pause for a moment before thinking 'It's not like mine were getting any better but still' then drifting off to sleep.

*

The year finally ended and I graduated third while you graduated second once again. While Seungmin, of course, still remained as top one.

The moment the results came out, I remember seeing you looking for someone and the moment our eyes locked, you approached me with a face that I could describe as anger mixed with guilt and sadness.

You stood in front of me for a second to take a deep breath before suddenly slapping me square across the face.

There were tears in your eyes.

"Don't fail on purpose!" You screamed.

Despite the raised voice, I still tried my best to remain composed and act oblivious.

"What?! You're just gonna play dumb again?! Jisung you studied just as hard as I did so you shouldn't have been ranked third!" You muttered through gritted teeth, raising your fist for a moment before bringing it down, sighing in frustration and storming off.

All I could was let a bitter chuckle escape my lips.