3

After entering the house, I immediately headed up the staircase, hoping that my father won't notice me.

"I see that you're home" He says, clicking his tongue. I close my eyes, trying to calm myself down before I head down the staircase and walk to the dining room.

"Hello dad"

I was shaking. I hated feeling so weak.
The empty bottles and cigarette butts are a sign enough that he was drunk and that he smoked.
Again.

But I hated how I could smell the alcohol and second hand smoke all around the house.

"The school called" He starts. And when the words leave his mouth my heart sinks.
Here it comes.

"They called to congratulate me cause my son ranked third! THIRD?! IS THAT ALL YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH?!" As he speaks he gets up before slapping me square across the face.

"I DIDN'T RAISE YOU TO BE LIKE THIS!"

I scoff at his words, a bitter chuckle escaping my lips.
Since I'm going to get beat up anyway, why not push my limits.

"You didn't raise me at all! Mom did" My dad pauses for a moment, his body going limp.

"What did you say?!"

"I said tha-" And another slap.

"Don't you dare talk back to me!" After every word his hits become harder. All I could do is sigh. This was going to be a long night.

The next day I come to school with bruises and cuts and bandages all over my body. As I close my locker, I see Felix running towards me. He slows down, his face dropping at the sight.

"Did the old man-" Felix cuts himself off, his hands balling into fists as anger consumes him for a moment.

"Dude I'm fin-"

"-Han Jisung?" I turn to whoever called me to come face to face with you. My eyes go wide, not expecting to see you.

And you mirror my actions the moment you see the black eye and band aids on my face. Your voice is shaky when you speak "What... what happene-"

I simply wink at you before placing my index finger over my lips as a gesture for you to keep quiet.

Now you know my secret.