24

The moment I heard that you were at school, I immediately rushed to your classroom to see you having casual conversation with Suengmin.

The two of you were laughing over something. I sighed with relief, seeing that you were okay. And as usual, I didn't fail to notice your habit of covering your mouth every time you let out a laugh. 

My mood quickly changed from relieved to angered though when the sleeves of your uniform went down and I saw bandages on your arm.

The bandage looked new. That meant fresh bruises.
My eyes go wide.

I slowly stepped over to where you were. The moment that you and Seungmin felt my presence, you gave Seungmin a nod and he got up and left.

"What happened?" I try to stay calm as I speak.

"Han Jisung what are you-"

"-I'm not dumb y/n, what happened?!" When you visibly flinch at the sudden raise of my voice, I mentally curse at myself for not being able to contain my anger. "Sorry I-"

"-She saw us talking"

My heart sinks.
So it was my fau-

"Don't blame yourself" You cut off my train of thoughts and my eyes go wide. "I- I know what you're thinking and I don't want you to think that. It's not your fault Han Jisu-"

And I hug you.
Because at that point, I didn't know what else to do.

*

Time flew by quickly.
The second quarterly results were out.

We've talked about how I 'purposely failed' before and you asked that I don't do it anymore.
So I stopped.

I placed second and you placed third just like before.

On that night, while I was laying on my bed, simply staring at the ceiling as I waited for my old man to sleep so that I could go down and eat dinner undisturbed, my phone suddenly buzzed.

y/n:
help me.

I froze.
The moment I read the text, my mind went blank for a split second. I froze because of the sudden surge of emotions that rushed through me. I wanted to scream. I wanted to throw my phone across the room. I wanted to understand what the text meant and what was clearly happening.

But I knew that time was a luxury that we didn't have.
Despite still having a million questions run through my mind, despite being shocked, I forced myself to get up and run to you.

I quickly grabbed my things and ran out of the house, ignoring my father's drunk screams, and headed to yours.

From the outside, I could already hear your mother's screams and your whimpers causing more panic to fill my system. The front door was locked so I headed to the side of the house and entered through your window. I rushed down the stairs and headed to the living room to see your mom with a wooden rod, repetitively hitting your back as you bit your lip, staying on a planking position.

"HOW MANY TIMED DO I HAVE TO PUNISH YOU FOR YOU TO FIX YOURSELF?!"
She hit you. And I remained still once again. My breaths were heavy and my heartbeat doubled because of my anger. But for some reason, I was stuck in place.

"YOU DISGRACE OF A DAUGHTER!"
Another hit.

Come on Han Jisung, move. Just fucking do something.

"AND IF YOU SCREAM ONE MORE TIME I WILL HIT YOU THREEFOLD -"

I grabbed the wooden rod from behind before she could swing it down on you.

"WHO-" Before she could even react, I broke the wooden rod, threw it to the side, passed by her, shoving her a bit in the process before carrying you out of that hell hole disguised as a home.