Chapter XXVI: Temporary Safety

-It's done. You happy now?, I say, forcing myself not to look at him, or anything for that matter. I shut my eyes, trying to stop focusing myself from my own head, because of all of the threatening thoughts of all of the somewhat innocent people I just turned into my enemies control.

But I can't. Somehow, it won't shut off, no matter how hard I try.

While waiting for something, anything, to happen to me, a sound of gushing wind passes by my ear, through all of the other thoughts rushing through my head. Who could do that?

I hear a voice that seems to be so far away, but so close at the same time. A familiar voice,:

-Ash, I'm here. Say something, please? I don't want to lose you again.

-What?, I respond back, still trying to figure out who the voice belongs to.

-It's me.

I feel a hand touch my shoulder. It's Jason. He escaped! I try to stop focusing, but there aren't any signs of the thoughts stopping. Then, I feel a slight breeze. I finally manage to open my eyes, and thankfully, they open to Jason sitting on the ground, in a field, holding my hand, looking at my with that wry smile he had when we first met.

-You there, Ashlee-Mae? Say something, he says, standing me up from off the grass.

I try to stand up, being dizzy from the emptiness of my head. Thank god.

-Yeah. And what was that about the fact that you didn't want to lose me?, I ask, staring at him while regaining my ability to see.

His smile fades a little, he grabs both of my hands, and says,:

-I promised you, and myself, that I would keep you safe. I broke that promise too many times already. I don't want it happening again.

Then he let's go of my hands as he looks away. After a few moments of silence, I ask,:

-Where's Myles?

-I don't know. We can't go back to check, or it's a straight shot to our deaths, he says, looking back at me afterwards. I'm sorry, Ash- Wait, hold on a second.. How could you agree to Carter's deal?! That was completely IDIOTIC!

-Let me think.. Oh yeah, I was pressured into the deal, I had our lives at stake, and I thought that I could control my own powers. But I was wrong, and I know that.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

*JASON'S POV*

After a few minutes of silence, I realize what we can do now. Train. I brought both of us to a place where Ash can try and control her powers.

-Why aren't you talking to me, Jason? I'm sorry I freaked out on you, I really am, but those words needed to come out.

-It's fine. But do you realize what we can do here?, I ask, smiling at her.

-Train.. But for how long until they find us here?, she answer, worried.

-We can never be sure, but we do what we can in that time. Now come on, let's start training.

We look around for anything that could help us with our training, but I unluckily picked a completely empty area. Since there's nothing around us, we decide to look farther away, trying to reach the end of the field.

Upon searching for what I think is a few hours, we get to a small town.