Ch.8

(Cat above is Poppykit; outline not by me but colored by me)

Stormspot woke to sounds of joyful mews. He padded out of the warriors' den to find the Clan gathered in the middle of the clearing. Fallowstar was standing on the Highledge. He joined them, taking a spot next to Fernshade and Cloudwing.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"Lightflame's kits are becoming apprentices." Fernshade replied.

Stormspot smiled at the good news. A moon had passed since the gathering and Marshtail's death. Since then ShadowClan had not bothered them, which made some of his clanmates highly suspicious of them. Stormspot, wanting to forget everything that happened in the past moon, tried to ignore all thoughts on ShadowClan.

The clan's mews died down as Lightflame emerged from the nursery with her four kits beside her. The kits' father, Mudpelt followed with a look of pride on his face.

Fallowstar bounded from the Highledge and called the four kits to stand in front of him. "Lightflame's kits have reached their sixth moon." He began. "It is time for them to join their clan as apprentices."

He moved to stand in front of Brightkit. The white and ginger she kit bounced excitedly on her paws. "Spottedflare, you will be Brightpaw's mentor. You show excellent strength and intelligence and I trust that you will pass these skills down to her."

Spottedflare nodded then bent down to touch noses with Brightpaw. Stormspot watched them with envy. He always dreamed of being a mentor.

Fallowstar turned to Petalkit. The little calico kit shuffled on her paws, obviously more nervous than her sister. "Petalpaw, your mentor will be Fireclaw." He turned to the ginger warrior. "Fireclaw, you are young and I believe that you are ready for your first apprentice. You had an excellent mentor in Mudpelt and I trust you will pass down all your learned from him."

Stormspot noticed Fernshade's light up as Fireclaw nodded then bounded up to touch noses with Petalpaw. Fallowstar continued turning to Barkkit, who was slightly bouncing on his paws. "Brackenear, you are an excellent warrior and are ready for another apprentice. You will mentor Barkpaw."

Brackenear stepped up and touched noses with Barkpaw. Last but not least, Fallowstar's gaze rested on Poppykit. The brown and ginger splotched tom bounced excitedly but was more proper than his siblings. "Stormspot." Fallowstar called.

Stormspot lifted his head at his name. Me?!

"You will mentor Poppypaw. You are young and ready for your first apprentice. I trust that you will pass down all that you learned from Branchtail down to Poppypaw."

Stormspot smiled and stepped forward. Poppypaw looked up him with wide yellow eyes as they touched noses. The clan began to crowd around them, congratulating the new apprentices.

Poppypaw turned to face Stormspot. "What are we doing first? Hunting? Battle training? Do you need me to help the elders?"

Stormspot stiffled a laugh at the little tom's enthusiasm. "How about we take a tour of the territory? You can help the elders when when we get back."

"Great! Let's go!" Poppypaw exclaimed.

Stormspot took the lead as they pushed their way through the thorn tunnel. The sun was slowly rising above the tree, casting an orange-yellow glow over the forest. Morning dew still clung to the grass and brushed along the cats legs as they walked.

Poppypaw padded along side Stormspot, his eyes glowing with anticipation. "The forest is so big!" He squealed. "Where are we going first?"