Broken but Found

Adrien Agreste couldn't feel anything.
       At this specific moment in time, nothing felt right. His marriage was a sham and he got the live show. He'd walk through that door and see what he never wanted to see again.

Wasn't Nathanaël dating someone? Marinette, was it? Last time Adrien heard they were celebrating their 2 year anniversary recently.

It'd break her to find out.

Opening the door hesitantly, Adrien heard the voices coming from his bedroom fade away. Lila threw Nathanaël to the side of the bed, as far away as she could.

Their faces bloomed bright red, eyes wide as if they were a deer in headlights.

"What the hell, Lila?" Adrien's heart broke.

Lila threw the sheet up to cover her chest. Her diamond ring still on her left finger. "Baby, I can explain!"

Adrien eyed her. "Explain what? That you lied to me for the past couple months? Explain how I was so oblivious? You're still pulling this shit since high school."

Lila was speechless.

"I'm need to get some fresh air," Adrien's voice broke. "We can figure this out in the morning."

As he began to leave the apartment, Lila stopped him. With the silk sheet still wrapped around her, she looked him up and down.

And gave him back his ring.

Marinette sunk into the comfy couch by the window in her apartment. She was so confused. Confused and heartbroken.

She witnessed her long-term boyfriend cheating while on patrol. With Chat Noir.

Did he know? Did he sense the connection she had with Nathan by her reaction? It was too soon to tell.

"What am I going to do?" she stroked her cat's silky fur, his head brushing up against her thigh and arm.

His purr was loud and comforting, Marinette thankful for at least having someone there for her. She couldn't call her parents at this time of night, and Alya was on her honeymoon with Nino.

There was always Adrien.

But he was married to—

Her phone suddenly vibrated. It was an unknown number but it seemed urgent if the caller didn't give up. Taking a chance, she answered.

"Marinette?"

That voice sounded familiar. "Adrien?"

He sounded frantic and disheveled. Perhaps he already knew as well. She didn't know how he—

"Can I ask you a favor?" he asked quietly.

"That depends." Marinette picked up one of the many picture frames of her and Nathanaël on her coffee table. Her heart sunk.

"I need a place to stay for tonight. I could go to a hotel but I'm afraid I left my wallet back at—er—my place. But I can't back. At least not for tonight."

Marinette didn't know what to say. She had the couch he could sleep on and plenty of blankets and pillows. But it felt..too soon. Too soon to let a former unrequited love to stay the night after this sort of thing.

"Marinette," he spoke for her. "Do you know?"

She swallowed, setting the frame face down on the table. "Yeah, I know."

"I'm sorry."

"Me too."

An hour later Adrien stopped by. It was way past midnight at this point and his body was about to drop from exhaustion.

"Am I taking the couch I assume?" he pointed, having nothing actually on him but his phone and keys.

Marinette nodded, bundling up blankets for him. He thanked her, watching her leave the room. She didn't say anything else.

Hours later, but still way before dawn, Adrien found himself awake again. He could not sleep, his mind yearning to stay awake and deprive him from a much needed rest.

Today's events were still heavy on his mind. The press would eventually find out, creating a huge and over exaggerated deal. But for now, all he had to focus on was sleep. 

The blonde looked at his left hand, streetlights casting their golden hue on his wedding band. It felt like a weight to him now. Foreign and heavy.

"Adrien?" Marienette's small voice chimed in, her head sticking through her bedroom door. "Is it ok if I stay up with you for a while?"

Adrien shrugged, even opening his side of the blanket for her. She hesitated but joined in. Her apartment was freezing, so if it came up that'd be the excuse.

She gazed into bright green, so familiar to Chat Noir's. His stood out since he wore a stark black suit, but Adrien's did it all by themself.

"I'm sorry about Lila," Marinette broke the silence.

"I should have noticed the signs long ago, and it's not your fault." he sighed softly, thinking how he'd bring this up to his father.

"I'm sorry if I'm making you uncomfortable," Marinette said at last. "I know we haven't spoke let alone seen each other in years."

"Has it really been that long?"

She nodded. "Since high school graduation."

He smiled. "Oh yeah, we all went to your parent's bakery and ate lunch afterwards. Then played—"

"—Mariokart till probably midnight." she jumped in, chuckling as she recalled the memory. "But it's not my parent's bakery anymore."

Adrien furrowed his brows. "Did it close?"

"No no," she shook her head. "I own it now. Maman and Papa deserve a well needed rest so I decided to take over."

"Maybe I should stop by."

"I think you just might have to." she actually felt herself smile.

Their conversation somehow felt so familiar and comforting. Like the ones she used to have with him when they were good friends in High School.

Even if she was stuttering most of the time due to her massive crush on him, he always managed to get past that and just talk.

Suddenly Marinette's watch buzzed, scaring both her and Adrien. Glancing at the watch's face, she groaned.

"I have work in approximately 2 hours."

"I have work in half an hour," he replied, feeling her pain all too well. "How about during lunch we grab some coffee? Strictly as friends, I promise."

She could use a friend since Alya and Nino won't be back till next week. Maybe then the four could reunite officially and it'd be like the old days.

"I would love that."