Confrontation

Time felt like it suddenly stood still.
The past month she'd spent trying to get this boy out of her head suddenly shot himself back at her. She thought she had been specifically clear that she never wanted to see him again.

"What are you doing here?" she tried so hard not to break down just looking at his stupid, beautiful face.

"I came to formally apologize," he stepped closer, causing her to step back. "It's all over with Lila. I made a mistake leaving someone as perfect as you for someone like her."

"You're not helping your case any better I hope you know." Marinette found it hard to swallow.

"I know." he looked down. "Anything I say will not convince you to take me back and I know that but—"

"So why did you break into my apartment and confront me after it was you who messed up?" she clenched her fists. "We've been on and off for months Nath, I guess I should've seen this coming."

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry isn't going to cut it this time. Sorry isn't going to excuse the fact that while I was working hard to pay the bills for us you were working hard with her under you!" she was so mad, the floodgate threatening to collapse.

"Mari—"

"All those times you were out 'studying' or whatever shitty excuse you came up with that week I believed you. I was so blinded by love that I couldn't see the person you truly are." her eyes burned.

"Can we please talk—"

"We are talking, Nath. And honestly I want nothing more than for you to leave my apartment and never come back." she opened the door for him.

He didn't move.

"You're telling me I'm the only one having an affair? I knew you still loved him ever since we first started dating in college." he tossed the newspaper on the table.

Adrien Agreste and Supermodel Lila Rossi Divorced!
details and pictures inside!
HOT! HOT! HOT!

"What are you saying?" Marinette tore her eyes away from the headline. "That's your mistress! You're the reason why they're divorced!"

He thumbed through the magazine quickly, the only sound in the apartment the turning of pages.

"That is you, isn't it?" he picked up the magazine and put it directly in front of her face.

She slammed her apartment door. "We hung out twice! There is a thing called friends supporting friends, isn't there?"

"Twice? What do you mean twice? There's this time and what's the other?"

She was speechless.

"Right."

"Stop trying to turn this whole thing on me when you are the one at fault! Me and Adrien never did anything other than talk." Marinette closed the article.

She struggled to take a deep breath, anything to calm her nerves. "Get out."

"It took two people to break up this relationship!" he yelled at her.

"You and Lila!" she shot back, so frustrated that she knew she'd be getting a noise complaint from her neighbors.

(A/N) lmao sorry this is a friends reference

Neither she or he saw it coming. In one swift movement his hand came up, slapping her across the face so violently she stumbled back.

"Oh my god," he shook his head over and over in disbelief as his hand burned. "I'm so sorry—"

"Get. Out." she didn't watch as he left.

Her hand hovered over her phone to call the police, Alya, or anybody. But she didn't.

All she could do was sink down against the wall with tears to hot in her eyes she became blinded by her own actions.

It's been a few days since Chat Noir's last visit. Some unexpected turmoil occurred at work that needed Adrien's attention so that came first.

He was sure Marinette was doing fine since whenever he went on his 'brief' patrols every other day, Ladybug told him she checked on her every now and then.

And he trusted Ladybug.

She did seem a bit off these past couple nights however. But when he tried to indulge, she politely dismissed the idea and went on to patrolling the streets. He felt a little thrown out of the loop since they normally told each other everything but if it's extremely personal he won't step over the line.

It was her business after all, not his.

"Good work today, Agreste." his boss, Madame Durand patted him on the back as he stripped off his blood-stained gloves.

"Merci," he thanked her, wiping his sweaty brow with his arm. "Can I ask you something?"

She glanced at her watch and nodded for him to continue.

"Is it alright if I get someone to cover my shift tomorrow?"

"Why's that? Tabloids gotcha scared? Too much paparazzi in your face?" his co-nurse, Luka, nudged him in the side.

They had a bond more like brothers at this point, going through medical school (and still going) together.

"No, but we'll come back to that." Adrien stepped in front of his boss to stop her from leaving. "It's my father and I need to check up on him every now and then."

She looked at his pleading expression for a couple seconds before sighing. "You're cleared. I'll just get Monsieur Couffaine to cover for you."

Luka shouted his protests from the other side of the room, not changing Durand's mind.

"Thank you, thank you." Adrien grinned. "I'll work extra hours next time."

"You better. And don't tell the the other nurses about this or they'll all start throwing fits like Couffaine." she jutted a thumb behind her.

"You haven't left the room so I can still hear you." he muttered.

"Good, I wanted you to hear." she grabbed her bags and left the room.

Luka came up behind Adrien and draped his exhausted arms on his shoulders. "Dude, you owe me like dozens of pastries or something after this."

"I think I know a place." he smiled, already picturing Marinette's eager grin whenever she heard the bakery bell chime.

The next morning, before going off to see his father, Adrien and Luka hopped out of a cab in front of the Dupain-Cheng bakery.

"This place has the best scones—"

Closed.

"Well that's nice." Luka heavily stated with sarcasm.

"They're never closed." Adrien wondered if Marinette was doing okay.

"Maybe they just took the day off." Luka suggested, squinting at the storm-brewing skies.

"Maybe." Adrien knew it was the busiest season for sales so the likelihood of a 'rest day' wasn't it.

"I think I saw a little place down the street." Luka pointed to where people casually went in and out of the bustling building.

"That place is reeeealllyyy expensive." Adrien doubted he had enough euros to pay.

"Well you better count your euros pal, cause you're paying for me." Luka grinned, already strolling down the street with his hands in his pockets and a bounce in his step.

Adrien took a final glance behind him towards the dark Dupain-Cheng bakery. Maybe he'd stop by tonight, just in case.

"You better not order and overpriced alcohol, you have to perform surgery in an hour!" Adrien called down the street.

All Luka did in response was thrust his middle finger up in the air and continue walking.