Chapter Two: Complications Of The Heart

Chapter Two: Complications of the Heart

“ica… America! Hey, get up already! Do you want to waste the day you blasted moron?!” I heard a voice yelling in my ear.

I groaned and tried to swat the voice away with my hand like a fly. I may have heard a voice but in my ears it only sounded like an annoyance. I just tried to forget it and go back to my sleep. I guess all that excitement yesterday made me tired. So tired I didn’t want to wake up.

The voice persisted and I had no choice but to lift my head up from the desk. I felt the pain in my neck from sleeping in such an awkward position and every part of my body was either stiff or asleep. I looked behind me to see where that annoying voice came from and I looked into those familiar emerald eyes. I stared into them for a few moments, gazing in wonder at what I might find if I keep looking into them.

I shook my head and my mind went back to reality. I looked at his face which seemed to be one of grumpy and angry. This was normal for the British dude I grew up with but I always liked the nicer side of him better which nowadays he doesn’t show me nearly as much. I guess I don’t get that privilege anymore. When I became independent he became distant but he was my greatest ally as well. I didn’t really understand it all myself.

I slowly and steadily lifted myself from the seat and with a little wobbling I stood up straight. I scratched the back of my neck, which started to itch suddenly. I yawned as I looked back at Britain. He was crossing his arms but he didn’t seem mad anymore, just normal. I smiled and realized he was blurry.

That’s when I realized I forgot to put on my glasses. I looked back to my desk and grabbed the black-rimmed frames and attached them to my face. When Britain’s face came into clear view I sighed as my vision was back to normal again. I pushed the chair back in close to the table and looked down toward the table.

At first I thought absolutely nothing but the more I analyzed the desk I realized my diary was laying out in plain view. I quickly, in embarrassment, closed the book and stuffed it away into the closest drawer. This action seemed to release a laugh from the tea-loving freak beside me. I turned around in anger and crossed my arms as well. 

“What are you laughing about?!” I asked.

“Oh nothing. I just didn’t think you’d get all defensive over a diary. I mean when you think about it I should know everything about you. Actually from the way you were writing you could become a novelist. You always act like a complete wanker but when it comes to writing you’re actually very skilled.” he complimented with a smile.

“What? Seriously?! Wait a minute! You read my diary?!” I yelled in disgust.

“Well you had it open in plain view I just couldn’t resist. I just wondered what was going through your head when you decided to help out the traveling Englishman who was suddenly shot by mysterious horseman. It’s a great story don’t you think?” he explained.

A huge pause stopped the conversation. Why would he ask such a thing? Now I was thinking he was the stupid one. I mean it was pretty obvious what was going through my head when I saw him laying on the ground like that.