Chapter 12: Special

Chapter 12- Special

Finally after a month it was time for him to be released. I made my way to the prison to collect him. When I reached his cell the guards opened the door and allowed me to walk inside. I walked in to find him hugging his knees to his chest.

“Let’s go home.” I said, giving him my hand.

It reminded me of the time he had once said that to me. Boy had the times changed. So many things had changed since those days of the past. Many things I couldn’t even explain. Things I didn’t understand myself.

His shaky hand grabbed mine as he stood up, barely. His legs were wobbly from sitting in here all the time but he seemed to still walk just fine. I slowly brought him out to the light to examine him. He definitely seemed skinnier but at least he wasn’t unrecognizable.

His nails had been chipped off, probably by his teeth. His hair was darkened with dirt and his clothes had black smears on them. He seemed to squint just a little in the dim light. For being locked up for a month he seemed to take care of himself well. I found on his face splotches of dirt and tear stains.

Instead of thanking me with words, which he didn’t like to do, he hugged me. He seemed to shiver at my warm touch and I could feel the cold of his hands on my back. I was happy though that he didn’t have to stay here anymore. That he survived all this. That he was finally free.

“I never realized it before but now I understand. I understand why you had to break free. I locked you up in a cage. You had to be free of it. It took for me to be locked up myself to realize that. I’m-”

“Don’t.” I stopped him, putting a finger over his chapped lips.

He nodded in response. He seemed to just stare at the ground, trying to get adjusted to the light. The light was only going to get brighter. I began to walk down the corridor, him following behind. I made sure to slow down so that he could keep up.

“You call me stubborn but I believe the stubborn one is you.” he said, a smile on his face.

As I took the first step into the light I looked back to see it. Even in the dark corridor his smile seemed to brighten up everything. I smiled back and nodded.

“Both of us are stubborn.” I agreed.

He nodded and we both shared a laugh. A laugh that seemed to echo down the corridor. I was glad to see that he hadn’t lost anything while he was in there. He was still the same old Britain. 

He took his few steps into the light and bowed his head in response. The light seemed so bright that he had to close his eyes to avoid it. I threw his arm over my shoulder and began to guide him. He seemed to not say anything the rest of the way home. At least my home.

I opened the door and guided him to the couch. He was able to slowly squint his eyes open but he could only keep his eyes open if they were slanted. A month changed so much. He had to have endured allot.