Chapter Ten: The Reason I Became A Hero

Chapter Ten- The Reason I Became A Hero

When I awoke I saw the sleeping face of Britain beside me. He seemed so dependent now that he was here. Before now I always saw him as a huge independent person. He never relied on anyone to help solve his problems and never relied on anyone else at all. He would always take care of it by himself.

All those things considered it made me wonder why he really came here. Was he just begging for my help but he couldn’t find the words to say it? Was I missing something? As I looked at his sleeping face I smiled at how innocent he looked. I leaned over and gently kissed his brow.

When his eyes didn’t open I got up and went to the kitchen. Nothing peeked my interest and I sighed because of my empty stomach. I yelled at it for being so loud and turned my head to the ground to see small, white toes in front of me. I looked up to see him looking at me, questionably.

“So you were awake?” I asked.

“Yes.” he nodded.

I nodded back and tried to think of something to say back but nothing came to mind. Then out of all my thoughts came the growling of not one but two stomachs. I looked at him and saw that he blushed, embarrassed. I laughed loudly and pointed a finger at his stomach.

“It’s not funny!” he yelled, crossing his arms.

“Fine you win. Let’s go.” I said as I grabbed his wrist.

He struggled at first but after we began to walk on the first street he held my hand and interlocked our fingers. I was shocked at first and when I looked at him he just looked in the opposite direction. I kept walking, him walking closely behind. We didn’t say a thing until we got to the café.

“You can order whatever. I’ll pay for it.” I told him.

“No I can pay for my own. I don’t need any favors from you.” he rebelled.

“Oh come on! It’s not like I’m gonna make you pay me back. I don’t care about the money.”

After much struggling he finally spoke, “Fine but I will pay you back.”

“Whatever.”

When we placed our orders we sat at the table and we didn’t say a word. We just kept holding our hands underneath the table. Was I supposed to let go or wait for him to? What message would I send if I didn’t. Or worse if I did.

I kept looking into his eyes, hoping to find some answers there. Although, like always, all I found were shields that blocked me from getting through. Were my eyes the same? Could he see what I was feeling? Then I realized the whole point. What was I feeling?

I mean the person who I had my first kiss with is right in front of me and holding my hand. What did I feel? I couldn’t think over the sound of my heart. It just kept beating and beating, blocking all my thoughts.

“Britain?” I finally asked him.

“Y..Yes?” he stammered back.

“Why are you still here?”

“Well it’s sort of difficult to explain. You see… Well… Umm…” 

I must’ve hit a nerve because he kept struggling to find an answer. He tightened his grip on my hand and he looked like his next words would be so important that he had to gather up the bravery to say it to my face. Of course my brain was clogged with the sound of my heartbeat so I hoped I would hear it.

“Because I don’t want you to disappear.” he answered.

My eyes shot wide open as he spoke. 

“How did you?”

“I am ashamed at myself for such a disrespectful act but I read more of your diary than I originally intended. I sincerely apologize.”

This was when I knew it was the time to let go of his hand. I let my grip fall and unlaced my fingers from his. He looked down at the ground in shame as I pulled my empty hand into my lap. I didn’t know what to think. I slammed my fist on the table as I stood up.

“Who told you that you had the privilege to read what’s not yours?! What made you think that you had the right to do such a thing?! Why do you even care what I think?! You don‘t care! You never did care!” I yelled.

“That’s enough!” he yelled back.

His face was firm and angry. He stood up and slapped my cheek, sending a shock throughout my entire body. I felt like I had just spoken the devil’s words. I rubbed my now red cheek and looked down at the Brit’s face which was now filled with a deep sadness.

“I’ve always cared. I have always regretted everything that happened on that day. I never stopped caring about you America. Ever!” he replied. “I wanted to know what you truly thought about me. I wanted to know that I wasn’t a complete failure to you. I didn’t want to be just a mistake in your life.”

My heart sunk at his words. I never once thought of him as a mistake. Even during that time he was watching out for me. It wasn’t his fault that happened. It was the cruel fate that was sent thrashing down on us.

“A person can never be a mistake. Everyone has a purpose. You’re the most important person in my life. I look up to you. I want to protect you. You are my reason for being a hero!” I explained.

Tears began falling down both of our faces. My heart was filled with so much emotion that I guess it got too overbearing and it had to be released. I wondered if it was the same for him. He looked down and tried to hide his tears from me.

I took a step toward him and cupped his face in my hands. I used my thumbs to wipe away his tears and smiled through my own. I threw my arms around him and brushed my fingers through his hair. I felt his arms clutch the back of my jacket and a deep sobbing erupt into my chest.

Now that he knew about me. Would I ever know about him?