3. The Very Hungry Caterpillar

*THOMAS POV*

"Which one are we reading tonight? Nakoa, I think it's your turn to go pick a book. Go ahead," 

Nova, Koa, and Roo gathered around Luca and I as we sat in the corner of their nursery after bath time in their matching footie pajamas. Each of them holding their bottle of warm milk as we waited for Mika-Ji to finish up bathing with Matty. Houston and Cooper also resting to the side, watching their every move in case they needed to swoop in and save the day. 

Nakoa stands up and walks over to the shelf, leaving his milk behind which Rumi tries to steal. 

"Rumi leave your brother's things alone. Yours is right here," I point to the bottle with the red ring around it and he giggles. 

"Dada mine," He chuckles as he comes up to my lap and continues to drink his milk. Nova stays half asleep in her Papa's lap as she quietly drinks her milk and snuggles which was extremely out of the ordinary for her. 

"Papa cata boo," Nakoa brings over The Very Hungry Caterpillar and gives it to Luca as he looks at both of us, choosing who he wants to sit with. 

"I know, Daddy or Papa baby. It's a hard choice to make," I coax him towards me but he chooses Luca instead. Almost all the babies had their favorite parent. Rumi mostly chose me, Mika-Ji loves his mommy, Nakoa is fascinated by his Papa, and Novalee seems to hate everyone except Jaydean.

The door opens and Matty guides in little Mika-Ji who looks at us and instantly turns back to his Mom like we're strangers to him. 

"It's okay Ji-Ji, go spend some time with your daddies," He says and my smallest little nugget finally turns around with his wet curls of brown hair tussled over his beautiful violet eyes. 

"Come here baby, we don't bite," Luca says and I open my other arm to him, waving him forward. He takes a few steps by himself, unsure of what to do as he looked back at Matty who leaned against the doorway with his arms crossed.

"I'm going to go get some stuff done around the house, goodnight babies," he waves to them and they all wave goodbye back. 

Well, all except for Mika, who goes into a full-blown panic attack thinking his favorite parent was gone for good and he would be forever stuck with just Luca and I. 

"Oh, Mika," I sighed as I slowly started to get up and went to hold my sensitive little guy but Houston beat me to it, nudging him with his wet nose and covering him in doggie kisses until Mika's tears turned to giggles. Houston slowly nudged my last little one towards me until he finally caved into my arms. I held Rumi and Mika close as they sipped their bottles and listened to Luca tell the story of the very hungry caterpillar for the millionth time. 

With all four of the quads half asleep, Luca and I tag teamed as we slowly placed them in their cribs one at a time as not to wake them up further. It was just Mika and Rumi who were last to go and Luca slowly took Mika, holding him in his arms while rocking him back and forth, until he finally reached his crib without a sound. Rumi was last to go down and of course, just as I got up he decided to open up big brown eyes and pretend to be wide awake.

"No Dada," He cried as I tried to put him down and winced, not wanting to wake the others. 

"Rumi you have to go to bed baby, I'll see you tomorrow okay?" I whispered to him and Luca joined me, kissing Roo's pouted cheek.

"Mmm Dada," He groaned and clutched onto my neck with all his strength and I didn't have the heart to let him go. 

"Okay, fine you can stay up a little bit longer. But just a little bit got it?" I whispered to him and he nuzzled his head against my shoulder. Luca gently rubbed his back and opened the door for us as we walked out of the nursery and into the dim hallway. 

"Matty's going to kill us," Luca whispered and I nodded.

"I think I'm just going to snuggle him for a bit for some one on one. Where is Matty?" I asked and Luca looked over the railing.

"He's in the living room watching tv," Luca warned and I looked at Rumi, his little puppy eyes just begging for me to keep him with me.

"Take him to the bedroom and I'll go hang out with Matthias," Luca shrugged and walked downstairs to join our husband as I went to the bedroom, turning on a single lamp as I laid down with my restless little guy.

He snuggled into my chest and closed his eyes as we laid down together in silence, running my hand over his back as he breathes and he sneezed a little.

"Bless you Rumi," I told him and he smacked his plump little lips.

"I love you Dada," he sighed, it didn't sound exactly like I love you just yet but I knew what he meant and it melted my heart.

"I love you too Roo," I said back to him as I nestled my nose in his tight little curls and took in his precious baby scent. He sucked on his thumb as he slowly closed his eyes again, his body rising and falling with my chest before he finally fell into a deep sleep. 

"Okay Rumi, let's get you to bed baby," I whispered, kissing the top of his head and cradling him close as I walked him back down the hall and into the nursery, lying him down without a problem this time.

I took the baby monitor with me as I went to join my husbands downstairs before my phone started vibrating in my pocket. I looked at it, not recognizing the number but picked it up anyway.

"Thomas?"

"Sophia? Is this you?" 

"Oh thank the lord, Thomas something happened."

"What? Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine but it's not me. It's Mama, she's...she's in the hospital...and the doctors say she's not gonna make it much longer...she wants to see you," 

"I'm on my way," 

"Hurry Thomas,"