Chapter 14

Song of the Day: Miles Away by Memphis May Fire

Hyacinth's POV:

"What do you mean you're going to America?" Phil and Aisling both asked at the same time. I sighed, looked at Dan and walked towards the couch to sit down. They all folllowed me and waited for my response. I inhaled air and exhaled.

"My mom has a tumor in her brain, I wasn't told about this until the day of my birthday. She was pretty stable and they were giving her medication but it's gotten too big for it to be surgically removed, I got a call a while ago saying she had fainted. My family took her to the hospital, but they said that she hasn't woken up yet, they said she was in a coma.... and that they don't know if she'll ever wake up." Tears ran down my cheeks once again.

I looked up to see everyone's face, Dan was looking at me, kind of upset. Phil was looking at his hands that were resting at his thighs, and Aisling was looking ahead, like she was in a trance.

"That's why, I have to go to America, I need to be by her side. I never was before, and now it's a little bit late but I still need to go... I may not see her again. I know that if I don't go, and she dies, I'll be living with the guilt that I never stayed with her on her last days." I said. There was long silence.

"Hyacinth, you have to go. You have to be with your mother, I understand how it feels to be by yourself, and I know your family wants you to be there with them in these difficult times. I know you're mum wants you there, you have to go to her. I'll miss you, but it's something you have to do." Aisling said. I smiled at her. Phil looked at Aisling, grabbed her hand and looked at me and tried a small smile.

"I agree with Aisling, we'll miss you, but it's something that needs to be done." Phil said. We all looked at Dan. He looked at me in sad way.

"I understand that you have to go, but... what about me, what about us? I mean, we finally got together. I don't want you to leave me." he said.

"Dan, I understand. I really like you and don't just want to leave you. But she's my mother. I love her, and I was never there for her. It's my fault she's this way, I can't just leave her to die." I begged. Dan stayed quiet and looked at his hands, thinking. He closed his eyes, looked up and sighed.

"You better come back to me. I'll be waiting." I smiled at him and went to peck his lips.

"I promise."

---------------

I was laying on Dan's bed, thinking. Tomorrow I would start packing, and then early the next day, I would leave to America. I had bought my ticket via internet already. I felt the bed move as Dan came to my side. He pulled me closer and I rested my head on his chest. He started playing with my hair.

"I'm really going to miss you so much. It makes me sad that you have to leave, we just started going out." Dan said. I looked up and rested my head next to his, so I could look at his face.

"I'll miss you too, but Dan, I need to do this, you know that." I said. He touched my cheek and started tracing my face with his fingers slowly and carefully. I closed my eyes and grabbed his hand. I opened my eyes and started to examine his fingers one by one. Then I compared the size of our hands. His hand engulfed my tiny hand, he had really long fingers and mine where really small in comparison. He laughed.

"What are you doing?" he asked. I smiled.

"Just comparing our hands, you have big hands." I giggled.

"You're so weird." he said.

"What's wrong with that? Have a problem with me mate?" I said, trying my British accent.