Chapter 4

Dipper sighed as he stood outside. Bill had drawn a circle in the dirt, but Dipper didn't recognize any of the symbols. "Is this really necessary, Bill?" Dipper asked for the third time. "Yes. I need to make sure. Believe me, Dipper. If you do, you'll want to know to..."

Dipper sighed, sitting on the ground. Bill feared that some of his demonic energy had been left in Dipper's body when he had possessed his body. Dipper didn't think this was possible, but Bill seemed convinced.

Bill straighten, turning to look at Dipper. "Could you stand in the middle. It won't hurt you in any way. All it does is check your magic level." Dipper raised a brow. "And how will that tell you if I have demonic energy in me or not?" "How do you think humans gain magic, Dipper? They used demonic energy. Either through a deal, or they downright steal it."

Dipper could only stare at the demon. Was he serious? He seemed to be. And he seemed worried that Dipper could have some of his. "Okay, so, what if I do? It can't be that bad..." Dipper started but stopped as Bill shook his head. "If you do, then it could be bad. It's been left unchecked for years. Uncontrolled."

Bill stepped back, allowing the teen to pass him. Dipper stood in the middle, looking at Bill. "Now what?" He asked the demon. Bill raised his hands. "I say the incantation and it'll tell us if you have any of my power inside of you." He said, and Dipper noticed that Bill seemed nervous.

With a nod from the teen, Bill began to speak. "Laitnetop snamuh siht em wohs, srewop tneicna eht nopu lulac I." There was a bright light before Dipper gasped in pain, falling to the ground. "I thought you said it... It wouldn't hurt..."

Bill ran over to the teen, helping it up. "It shouldn't have. Let's head inside and I'll get you something for the pain." He said, walking the teen into the shack. Dipper hissed in pain as he rested back against the couch. Bill went into the kitchen, quickly returning with a bottle of painkillers and a cup of water.

"So, what do you think happened?" Dipper asked, placing some pills in his mouth before drinking the water. "I probably messed up... I'm sorry, Dipper. Honestly, it should never have hurt you. You should've just glowed blue if you had my powers..." Bill said, frowning. Dipper put a hand on his shoulder. "It's alright, Bill. It wasn't too serious. Just a small accident, right?"

Bill looked at Dipper wide-eyed. Suddenly, Bill jumped forward, hugging Dipper tightly. Dipper let out a groan of pain, causing Bill to pull away. "Sorry. Where does it hurt the most?" Bill asked, looking the teen over. "My back... It feels like its burning..." Bill frowned. "Could... Could I take a look? I can also put a cold cloth on it if you'd like."

Dipper nodded, slowly removing his shirt. Bill stared at the teen. He knew the teen was skinny, but he was surprised to see some muscle on him. "Wow, Sapling... You look good..." Dipper looked away as he felt his face heat up. "Just... Just look at my back..." He said, turning away from the demon.

Bill rolled his eyes before looking at the teen. His face paled when he saw what was on his back. "Bill? What is it? What's wrong?" Dipper asked, looking over his shoulder to see Bill. "You... On your back... There's a pine tree symbol..."

Dipper jumped up, twisting and turning to try to see his back. "Dipper, stop. You'll hurt yourself. I have a mirror you can use." Dipper looked around, watching Bill as he made a tall standing mirror appear. He twisted to look at his back, a gasp getting stuck in his throat.

"Is... Is it permanent...?" Dipper asked, slowly looking up to Bill. "I don't think so... But we should keep an eye on it... We'll check before we go to sleep and again in the morning." Dipper nodded, slowly pulling his shirt back on.

"What I'm more worried about," Bill started as he made the mirror disappear. "Is what that symbol means." Dipper looked up at Bill. "And? What does it mean?" Bill looked away, not answering Dipper's question.