Part 17

Arshi returned from office in the wee hours of the night. She informed her mother not to stay awake and wait for her. Her eyes, red having cried immensely. She headed to her room and got ready for bed.

She found difficulty trying to sleep and thought to drink some water but decided against it. She didn't want the happenings of the of the other night to occur again. She was about to take a stroll in the garden when she passed her parents room. She didn't want to disturb them now but she badly needed to talk. She went inside and seeing their sleeping figures, she smiled meekly. "They still have that habit of holding each other's hands' while sleeping." she chuckled softly. She went and sat on the floor next to her father.

Arshi : Mom, Dad... I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry. Everyone thinks I'm a coward and they're right. I left when you'll needed me the most. I just wanted to be like you and dad. You'll were able to protect our family whereas I was the cause of our family's destruction. I really wouldn't of come back if dad hadn't called me. That just proves how selfish I'm. Dad had to ask for my time. I've wronged you'll in every way.

Her eyes were red, tears ready to burst. But she composed herself. She felt weak as her emotions overcame her and she didn't find a need to get up.

Slowly, sleep overcame her, with her head resting on the edge of the bed.

Next morning.

Khushi woke up and was startled to see Arshi sleeping on the floor with her head resting by Arnav's feet. Arnav also got disturbed due to the sunlight and the loss of Khushi's touch.

Arnav : Good morning!

Khushi (whispering) : Good morning Arnavji!

Arnav : Why are you whispering?

Khushi gestured Arnav through her eyes to look down. He followed her eye gesture and was just as startled to see his daughter on the floor next to his seat. Khushi got off the bed and went over to Arshi's side and started tapping her shoulder lightly, taking care not to startle her.

Khushi : Good morning Arshi!

Arshi (sleepy voice) : Good morning mom!

Arshi remained on the floor unaffected with her eyes closed.

Khushi : Arshi get up it's late now!

Arshi woke up rubbing her eyes like a baby to which her parents found adorable.
Only then she took notice of her surroundings.

Arshi : Good morning dad! Uhmm ma, dad. I'm sorry I disturbed you. I came to check if you'll were okay, don't know when I dosed off.

Khushi : I told you not to work so much, see now you're tired! You're not going to work early today. You will rest and then go!

Her red eyes didn't go unnoticed by Khushi.

Arshi : But ma I've got a lot of...

Khushi : Chup! Ek dum chup! (Quiet! Absolutely quiet!) You're not going early that's it! Now go to your room and rest.

Arnav : That's some good morning Khushi. As soon as she woke up you started scolding her. Does anyone do that?

Khushi : Aap khamosh rahe toh beter hai. Aap pe gayi hai voh! (It will be better if you remain quiet. She has taken after you!)

Arnav : Of course. If not me than who will she take after?

Khushi went to Arshi's room to check if she was resting, only to see her getting ready for office. This infuriated her.

Khushi : Kaha tha na ki tum ahraam ki zaroorat hai?! Toh yeh kya? ( I told you that you need rest! Then what is this?)

Arshi : Ma meri...(ma...)